PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Buttons and others

aloldstuff
08-21-2011, 04:29 PM
Finally got something good in the coin find arena so I decided to post these items which have been accumalating on my kitchen sink. One of the buttons is backmarked BENEDICT & CO. The other has a wreath design on the back, only goes 1/2 way up the sides. Anybody who would know the age please chime in. The #6 has some real spikes on the back side, have no idea what that could have been for. I think that the spoon bowl is old but again looking for an expert here. The standing horse, who knows.

OxShoeDrew
08-21-2011, 05:25 PM
That deer (?) hood ornament (?) is interesting. Did you find any info on that?
You can check the buttons in the two relic stickies at the top of this forum area.
What kind of area did you find these items? Park?
Nice diggin, keep it up. :groovy:

del
08-21-2011, 06:26 PM
some very interesting relics Al , the buttons are pretty old the Benadict & coe is about 1829-34 the other i would say a little older than that maybe 1790 to about 1820 . the spoon is hard to figure out , whats the composition pewter , brass , copper and what does the back look like where the bowl meets the handle any solder marks or seam?? the no.6 and the animal ornament are to new for my tastes. ;)

coinnut
08-21-2011, 10:20 PM
The number 6 is probably just a number for your house address. With the spike in the back you can just hammer it in and don't need any screws. Dan already asked the same questions I wanted to ask about the spoon. You can tell a lot more from the back than the front of a spoon. Material and the joint on the back are important. As for the upright animal? I thought it was a ram when I first saw it. lol Who knows, but a hood ornament is a good guess :dontknow:

aloldstuff
08-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Del & Coinnut, Thanks for the great input on these items. I will try to get a picture of the back of that spoon. As far as material, I have no idea on how to tell the difference.

del
08-22-2011, 09:58 AM
Del & Coinnut, Thanks for the great input on these items. I will try to get a picture of the back of that spoon. As far as material, I have no idea on how to tell the difference.

hey Al find the edge of the exposed metal and not the regular patina or verdigris
copper is usually a ruddy reddish/brown , brass is often a greenish/ yellow or even a very pale silvery color and pewter is often very flakey / brittle greys

Epi-hunter
08-22-2011, 10:02 AM
Nice finds, and some good information you have received :clapping:

I think the animal looks like a dog. :thinkingabout:

coinnut
08-22-2011, 10:07 AM
I think the animal looks like a dog. :thinkingabout:

It a Billy Goat for heaven's sake!! or maybe a Zebra :thinkingabout: rofl

aloldstuff
08-22-2011, 10:56 AM
It a Billy Goat for heaven's sake!! or maybe a Zebra :thinkingabout: rofl

I'm leaning towards a Impala.