PDA

View Full Version : Metal Detecting with children around

kamogawa
08-21-2011, 04:51 PM
I have had many times when children want to jump in and help me to dig. In cases like that, I will leave my tools in the tool pouch. Children's hands and jagged digging tools don't mix. Kids can be lightning quick and jump in to help you dig. They also think tools like this are toys and will reach out to grab them. It can get them stirred up into a frenzy if you have coins, toys, jewelry that you have found to show them. They will likely do two things. Reach to take it out of your hand or ask you (and keep asking you) if they can have what you found. I will tell them I am looking for pennies, nickles and dimes. I just believe they can easily relate to this without my creating a situation when they will be wound up and jumping around at the sight of real treasures from the ground. I just turn it into a teaching lesson and show them what a metal detector is and how I hunt for things. One last thing...young ones will be curious and want to try using your metal detector. Just say no \:hammer: I did this a couple many years ago. One picked it up the dectors and dropped it about 20 seconds later. (mind you this was a heavier Garrett Groundhog that made a big CLUNK when it hit the ground. On another occasion, a child picked it up like it was a Star Wars Light Saber and began swinging it around chasing around a couple of other kids who were around. Believe me, after that, I never let it happen again. I now approach situations like that exclusively as teaching opportunities.

bob_e99
08-21-2011, 07:07 PM
I can relate to the children wanting to dig but I can't tell you the number of times that I have found shards of glass in the hole. It bothers me to even think of the possibilities so I definitely discourage them from doing it even if I have to call it quits for the day.

Mudder
08-21-2011, 09:34 PM
I have not been hunting that long, but have had it happen to me on more than one occasion. Guess when you work schools and parks, its just going to happen. I try to get them to watch and let me do the digging, because I agree with Bob, that there is more than dirt in those holes. \:hammer:

aloldstuff
08-23-2011, 09:50 AM
Ah kids....some are cool some are a pain in the...One day I had a little one following me around and he would tap his shoe on the ground and say dig here. I eventually gave him some coins that I had found and told him he should put them in a jar to start saving for a metal detector. Wonder if that ever happened. So true about them wanting to dig with their hands. I have to explain that the tool I use is very sharp and that sometimes there is glass in the holes. Please keep your hands out of the holes.......to many times I've had to say that. I sometimes feel like I'm the babysitter. Headphones are great cause I can say I can't hear you with my headphones on. I could go on and on about kids and metal detecting. I can only wish that one of them took an interest and is planning his or hers purchase of a metal detector.

randy
08-23-2011, 04:43 PM
I had a kid dogging me a few weeks ago who wouldn't leave me alone. He kept dropping clad on the ground in front of me and was trying to hide the fact he wasn't doing it. I just picked it up and handed it back to him. I told him my wife lost here wedding ring here yesterday, and that's all I was looking for (a line I use on many people), but it didn't work. Sometimes you just have to grin and bear it until they go away.

tanacat
08-23-2011, 05:10 PM
I've been harrassed by kids. It's an awful feeling to not be able to spank them or put them in time out rofl

Most are curious and just in your face enthusiastic about finding treasure. I think it's cute when I'm in the mood for it :)

Once I was hunting at a small neighborhood park and a little girl about 8 yrs old was watching me learily. She was sitting up in a branch of a tree watching me for the longest time, then finally asked 'what are you looking for?' I said 'old coins and jewelry'. She jumped down and held out a handful of change, said 'this is all I have'... she looked so empathetic (had pity for me). I said no this is my hobby- she insisted. I told her 'that's my car, I have a big house and this detector costs a lot of money'. lol

I tried to explain that it was an old park and that silver coins before 1964 blah blah blah she didn't seem to comprehend...

coinnut
08-23-2011, 06:17 PM
That is why I hunt the woods. The only kids out there are the people I hunt with lol My step daughter wanted to dig for me during a house hunt. She was probably around 7ish. She did great, but I had to explained that she should not reach into the hole as I was digging because the shovel was sharp and there may be glass in the hole. She nodded YES but the temptation was to great for her. The next hole she saw something in the hole and she darted in there and grabbed it. It was a Grub rofl Once she examined it and realized it was a bug, she wipped it about 20 feet lol I lost my digger from that moment on :dontknow: She has never helped me again thumbsup01

bob_e99
08-24-2011, 05:54 AM
That is why I hunt the woods. The only kids out there are the people I hunt with lol My step daughter wanted to dig for me during a house hunt. She was probably around 7ish. She did great, but I had to explained that she should not reach into the hole as I was digging because the shovel was sharp and there may be glass in the hole. She nodded YES but the temptation was to great for her. The next hole she saw something in the hole and she darted in there and grabbed it. It was a Grub rofl Once she examined it and realized it was a bug, she wipped it about 20 feet lol I lost my digger from that moment on :dontknow: She has never helped me again thumbsup01

Too funny! I agree about the woods but lately I've been doing more parks and waiting until fall thins out some of the underbrush and the yellow jackets go to bed. Maybe it's because I'm doing more parks but the kids seem to be swarming toward me lately (can't wait for school to start lol ). I'm always amazed at how they talk to strangers with everything that goes on in today's world.
I also tend to be more patient with them toward the end of a hunt so I can end the conversation at any time.

Most are curious and just in your face enthusiastic about finding treasure. I think it's cute when I'm in the mood for it :)

Exactly!

tanacat
08-24-2011, 07:58 AM
It was a Grub rofl Once she examined it and realized it was a bug, she wipped it about 20 feet lol I lost my digger from that moment on :dontknow: She has never helped me again thumbsup01

rofl Those grubs do look pretty mean lol Bummer on losing your digger- I'm hoping my kid will get the hang of it.

The other day he and I were hunting at a park and a little girl joined us. She pulled a critter out of the hole with bare hands and she and my son played with it for quite a while while I dug more holes. I wasn't paying much attention and thought it was an earthworm. They set it free right next to me and it was actually a big old dark red shiny CENTIPEDE! :shocked04: It was amazing that neither of them were bitten!

whammy
08-27-2011, 09:17 PM
The ones I hate happen alot at the beach. I try to mind my own business, and if I see kids, I try to work the other way. I had 3 or 4 little girls and boys following me, and I tried my darndest to answer their questions and get away from them. After about 10 minutes this lady came up to me and asked me what I was doing to her kids. I didn't even answer her, I just left. It wasn't worth it to get in a fight with an irate mother. Thankfully, it doesn't happen very often.

RobW
08-31-2011, 04:01 PM
Al loves the kids following him. They always follow him, not me. He just seems like such a nice approachable grandfatherly guy rofl Last night one was his shadow for a good hour....I just kept laughing to myself..ok maybe every once in ahile when I'd look around and see he was still right over his holes, I'd laugh out loud a bit rofl

aloldstuff
09-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Al loves the kids following him. They always follow him, not me. He just seems like such a nice approachable grandfatherly guy rofl Last night one was his shadow for a good hour....I just kept laughing to myself..ok maybe every once in ahile when I'd look around and see he was still right over his holes, I'd laugh out loud a bit rofl

thanks Rob, just to let you know I have a new strategy as far as kids go and your part of it. rofl

russellt
09-04-2011, 04:23 PM
i usually relocate when i get a crowd of interested kids... to many legal issues that have been brougt up previously .darn kids