PDA

View Full Version : 1850'S - 60'S TONGUE BUCKLE QUESTION

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-22-2011, 08:13 PM
anyone know if this is military?
i found the disc with the 6 pointed star yesterday.
somebody on tnet identified it and posted a pic of his buckle.
does the star have a regiment signicance? civil war?

1st pic shows the star disc on stamped brass
2nd pic is the other guys buckle
any help would be appreciated!
i cant post his pic because the file is different.his is a bit something not a jpeg >{
i will post thread if that's not acceptable you can delete this thread and i apologize.i cant think of another way to show the buckle?

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,419277.0.html

del
08-22-2011, 08:16 PM
hey i was going to ask about that piece ?? to take a good picture of the front and back.

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-22-2011, 08:27 PM
this is the info the dude just sent me on that buckle in a pm.....

These were actually made for the California Gold Rush,they had no military affiliation what so ever.They were just for everyday use,on an elastic cloth belt.We strongly beleive they were freebies,when a fellow bought a pair of trousers as you noted they would not hold up to a hard days work,although we do find a large number of them in pristine condition.We refer o this one as the generic,Six Pointed Star,or the Star Of David,given the fact that a large majority of the merchants were Jewish.
It should also be noted that there have only been two,(yours and one other)that I have seen dug anywhere but Calif.I have dug three myself(complete)and know of nearly 25 others.It is not a common one.
The reason I didnt post this info on the board was I have several friends that have researched these extensivly,along with myself and they are wanting to print a book on them someday.They are my passion,and all I search for when Mding,and have over stepped,my bounds in there eyes in the past posting them or putting info out there.Ones screen name is CC Hunter and I forwarded a link to your post so maybe he will compound what I have shared.Great piece and thanks for posting it.I try to document as many as I can that come from any where other than Calif.
the whole reason I even cruise this site is for that very reason.....I have saved a number from the junk bin.We have documented over 60 different types and designs specifically unique to the Gold Rush

del
08-22-2011, 08:34 PM
not to be a skeptic Dave but it seems a little on the small size to be the center of a tongue buckle , whats the back look like and tell that guy on the other forum to put it next to something to give it a size reference. i'd like to see ya find one but it just looks too small.

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-22-2011, 08:34 PM
heres the pics dan.bad stress crack on it,just coated it with hairspray.

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-22-2011, 09:09 PM
it's a match no doubt :yes: