PDA

View Full Version : detecting scenario...what would you expect - brick sidewalks

switch
08-25-2011, 09:35 AM
So... Yesterday while working my current yard project...I unearthed a brick sidewalk that is no longer used. It is about 2 inches down...now I have noticed (and this is how I found a sidewalk) I get a rediculously high signal (HEY STUPID - there is a coin right there signal) it bounces back and forth like crazy. Now the detector (Garrett Ace 350) says that this crazy high signal is about 2 inches down...

Now is the metal content so high and obvious that it is screwing up the depth and the object is actually under the bricks or is there something in the bricks that is making the metal detector go nuts? Maybe a metal pipe :-\ under the bricks?

Ill Digger
08-25-2011, 10:17 AM
There'sa good chance there's some thing under it!! I got a signal about a foot away from the edge of the grass one time. So I dug down and tunneled under the concrete! :yes: lol It was giving me a penny signal. It turned out to be a tea spoon from a kids play set :rolleyes: >:# There went my dreams of a LC or seated :crying02: Maybe just try and pluck the one brick and recover the target and then replace it thumbsup01 Under a brick walk way? It could be anything. But one thing is for sure it's probably really old! :drool:
Good luck ! And keep us posted...good or ...not so good. lol It'll be interesting to see :-> :->

switch
08-25-2011, 10:32 AM
There'sa good chance there's some thing under it!! I got a signal about a foot away from the edge of the grass one time. So I dug down and tunneled under the concrete! :yes: lol It was giving me a penny signal. It turned out to be a tea spoon from a kids play set :rolleyes: >:# There went my dreams of a LC or seated :crying02: Maybe just try and pluck the one brick and recover the target and then replace it thumbsup01 Under a brick walk way? It could be anything. But one thing is for sure it's probably really old! :drool:
Good luck ! And keep us posted...good or ...not so good. lol It'll be interesting to see :-> :->

Well, it is from the yard I dug up all my recent finds so I would hope it would be interesting that is why I HAD to ask, maybe this one will be a seated half dollar :omg: lol. Perhaps I am disuaded against walkways and such because all of the modern stuff sometimes has renforcement metal bars in them. >:/ there is another walkway made of stone that gives off signals close to the edge of it...and I am wondering if they are actually stone or fake stone with reinforced metal in them. :dontknow: Was it an old play set with a silver spoon? :twirlingeyes:

I hope its not a pipe, I already dug up an old metal sewer pipe section. :hairpulling:

I am glad it rained though, put the yard back in order, and for some reason, I think I find older stuff right after the rain. lol

I will definetely post the find if there is one. So far from this yard:

Barber Quarter, 2 Barber Dimes, 3 Indian Head Pennies, 2 V nickels, a 2 Cent Piece, plus various clads, iron nails, and junk. I had a washer with a hole in it yesterday that was pretty deep, thought it might have been a coin,...no such luck, I also found a huge silver spoon, and was all excited about it, until I bent it and all of the plating :( fell off. rofl

coinnut
08-25-2011, 10:36 AM
If you are getting one signal under a brick then it probably is a target of some sorts. If you get multiple hits on most of the bricks, then it is probably a pipe or something they used when putting in the bricks. In our area, old bricks actually hurt detector depth. I think there is a good amount of iron content in them.

del
08-25-2011, 06:31 PM
If you are getting one signal under a brick then it probably is a target of some sorts. If you get multiple hits on most of the bricks, then it is probably a pipe or something they used when putting in the bricks. In our area, old bricks actually hurt detector depth. I think there is a good amount of iron content in them.

George is right , the red bricks we find at old cellar sites are loaded with iron sometimes and will actually make the detectors get a hit like a target especially burried 3 plus inches down . i would suggest digging one up and going over it to see if it affects your machine too.

switch
08-25-2011, 07:03 PM
You guys might be right about that content thing....it is probably just the mixture of brick. crying01 lol

Next time I get down there I will try and get one out -- see what happens. :yes:

Ill Digger
08-25-2011, 11:59 PM
Was it an old play set with a silver spoon? :twirlingeyes:
No :( It was an aluminum one :rolleyes: But it was MADE IN USA!! thumbsup01
Good luck! thumbsup01

jkress
08-26-2011, 12:56 AM
Here is another thought... those could be good signals.
Last year I was detecting a stretch of grass along the street when I got a good signal only a couple of inches down.
Stuck my digger in and hit brick in the first few inches. Turned out to be a brick sidewalk from yesteryear. The wheat cents
and silver could only sink as deep as the bricks. I pulled several nice ones out from that stretch. See the hunt Here (http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=3045)

It was easy digging. It is a long stretch of brick sidewalk that is about 3 inches under the surface. The coins can't sink any further. :clapping: But there is a blanket of metal targets laying right on top of the old brick sidewalk.

Go after a few of them... see what turns up.

tanacat
08-26-2011, 09:23 AM
maybe this one will be a seated half dollar :omg: lol.

I'm sure you'll let us know if it is :yes:

It's tomorrow now---- so have you dug it up yet? :eyebrow:

switch
08-26-2011, 09:47 AM
Digger: At least it was made in USA :peace:

Del, Coinnut: Probably metal lol Good Idea Del, I will do that while checking the hole for silver :grin:

JKress: Not sure if they are on the tops of the bricks..maybe between the cracks. At least I didn't notice anything right away, just bricks.

Tanacat: Not yet, planning on going today. :grin:

switch
08-26-2011, 08:21 PM
I think its the bricks :rolleyes:

I followed the sidewalk around to a trail of maddening tones. lol

milco
08-29-2011, 07:39 AM
Most likely it is the iron content in the clay used to make/fire the bricks. I would still hit the area hard and look for small repeatable solid coin targets and dig 'em up.

switch
08-29-2011, 07:41 AM
Most likely it is the iron content in the clay used to make/fire the bricks. I would still hit the area hard and look for small repeatable solid coin targets and dig 'em up.

Going to try, but those bricks are producing ALOT of noise. lol