PDA

View Full Version : wheaties and the red scuzz

switch
08-25-2011, 07:16 PM
I have noticed that after cleaning some wheats that they have this bright red gritty nasty on them... Is there anything I can do to lessen that?

JTGOLD
08-26-2011, 09:11 PM
I have found out that if I clean copper with clad mine are like that too so I clean all my copper by itself and it doesn't do that,nickels will turn red also if cleaned with clad,try doing them seperate.

switch
08-26-2011, 09:32 PM
Interesting, I kept just wheat pennies together. :dontknow:

coinnut
08-27-2011, 08:23 PM
It's a normal rust on some pennies, especially from the WW2 era. The composition was changed and I think they used spent cartridges in the making?? :confused: If they are common coins, try heating up some hydrogen peroxide in a shot glass for about 15 seconds and drop that penny in and watch it fizz. I think the red will be gone lol If you want to see it slower, heat up the peroxide and use a Q tip and rub it on, over and over.

switch
08-27-2011, 09:00 PM
Actually the peroxide caused it. :-\

I am almost to the point where I am not even going to clean anything anymore. lol

coinnut
08-27-2011, 09:24 PM
Actually the peroxide caused it. :-\

I am almost to the point where I am not even going to clean anything anymore. lol

The peroxide caused it to turn red?? That has never happened before. You sure you didn't use barbecue sauce? lol

switch
08-27-2011, 09:27 PM
:embarrassed: whoops.... lol

Nope ;)

but yep, the few that I did all got red crap all over them and a couple that I cleaned with the toothpick method got it too... :-\

JTGOLD
09-09-2011, 10:13 AM
try electrolsis.