PDA

View Full Version : Moderately Interesting

bob_e99
08-26-2011, 04:34 PM
My niece owns a house that is situated on what use to be part of an 18th century farm. Needless to say I was pretty excited to detect the area but only found a quarter, some pennies and this tag which looks like it has something to do with railroad cargo.

The site was full of trash and maybe someone with more experience detecting in that type of environment would have had more success.

In any case, I wonder if anyone has seen anything like it before.
Thanks

z118
08-26-2011, 05:13 PM
I don't know what it is exactly, but I do know it is pretty stinking cool! Seems like a ticket of some sort, but I'm not sure how it would have worked exactly. I can't wait to hear what the experts say!

Epi-hunter
08-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Nice tag, whatever it is :clapping:

As for the site, I hope you gave it more than just a few hours before giving up? A site like that deserves a lot of time. Surely there is good stuff there!

bob_e99
08-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Nice tag, whatever it is :clapping:

As for the site, I hope you gave it more than just a few hours before giving up? A site like that deserves a lot of time. Surely there is good stuff there!

I will definitely try the site again but maybe with a smaller coil. It appears that part of the land was used to dispose of farming detritus. The neighbors were telling me that they pulled out a tractor radiator as one example of the trash they found when installing their pool.

Thank you.

del
08-26-2011, 05:46 PM
hey Bob its definately a baggage claim tag from a Railroad or steamship or maybe a combination of both , you did a great job on cleaning it thumbsup01 thumbsup01 some are collector pieces and few can fetch a nice dollar too. some futher research will tell you exactly when your tag was being used , congrats on a very nice piece . :clapping: :clapping:

OxShoeDrew
08-26-2011, 05:55 PM
Very interesting :yes:

bob_e99
08-26-2011, 07:05 PM
hey Bob its definately a baggage claim tag from a Railroad or steamship or maybe a combination of both , you did a great job on cleaning it thumbsup01 thumbsup01 some are collector pieces and few can fetch a nice dollar too. some futher research will tell you exactly when your tag was being used , congrats on a very nice piece . :clapping: :clapping:

Thank you, del. Your knowledge is always very much appreciated. :clapping: :clapping:

jkress
08-26-2011, 10:27 PM
This is a very cool piece. :smitten: Congrats on finding it.

I recognize C.M.&S.P. = Chicago, Milwaukee & Saint Paul. Definitely a railroad line. Like Del said, it could be a combo of Rail and Steamer. But my guess is railroad from Milwaukee, Wisconsin to Bangor, Maine.

Further searching shows N.Y.C & H.R. = New York Central & Hudson River steam locomotives.

Fitch - E. & M.C. ... I wonder if these are the names of the travelers? :dontknow: If so, I found an 1850 census report that lists an E. & M. Fitch from Morgan County, IL. They would certainly be close enough to use C.M.&S.P. on their voyage out East. It's a stretch... but you never know. :dontknow: The tag certainly looks to be from the late 1800's/very early 1900's.

bob_e99
08-27-2011, 06:53 AM
This is a very cool piece. :smitten: Congrats on finding it.

I recognize C.M.&S.P. = Chicago, Milwaukee & Saint Paul. Definitely a railroad line. Like Del said, it could be a combo of Rail and Steamer. But my guess is railroad from Milwaukee, Wisconsin to Bangor, Maine.

Further searching shows N.Y.C & H.R. = New York Central & Hudson River steam locomotives.

Fitch - E. & M.C. ... I wonder if these are the names of the travelers? :dontknow: If so, I found an 1850 census report that lists an E. & M. Fitch from Morgan County, IL. They would certainly be close enough to use C.M.&S.P. on their voyage out East. It's a stretch... but you never know. :dontknow: The tag certainly looks to be from the late 1800's/very early 1900's.

I was going to do more research on it today but you certainly have provided a ton of information. My sincerest thanks for your efforts. :clapping: thumbsup01 :clapping:

If I find out more I will post it.

BOWSER
08-27-2011, 06:28 PM
More than moderate i would love to find something like that,congrats and will bet that there is more cool stuff at that site if you try again.

JTGOLD
08-28-2011, 10:39 AM
what I read was it is a claims tag used mostly on steamer trunks or larger luggage,they were also called seals.and one time use with persons name on it.

aloldstuff
08-31-2011, 06:51 AM
Bob, Last year I sold a tag for $150. I have found 5 of them in a field, most were whole. Try this web site: www.tagtown.com (http://www.tagtown.com), I think that is what it is.

bob_e99
08-31-2011, 10:08 AM
Bob, Last year I sold a tag for $150. I have found 5 of them in a field, most were whole. Try this web site: www.tagtown.com (http://www.tagtown.com), I think that is what it is.

:omg:

Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined this item to have such an interesting history. It almost frightens me that I could have thrown this out as a piece of garbage. Many thanks for this information and for the link (which should be www.tagtown.net (http://www.tagtown.net))

If you're ever back in the Hampton area, let me know and I'll buy you a drink.

Thanks again.

aloldstuff
08-31-2011, 10:46 AM
:omg:

Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined this item to have such an interesting history. It almost frightens me that I could have thrown this out as a piece of garbage. Many thanks for this information and for the link (which should be www.tagtown.net (http://www.tagtown.net))

If you're ever back in the Hampton area, let me know and I'll buy you a drink.

Thanks again.

Sounds like a plan