PDA

View Full Version : V3i Pinpointing From Air Observation

MartinL
08-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Update: This is a cool procedure, and quicker to the dig than the initial conventional sweep method at trigger. I tested this many times since posting this information yesterday, and found it to be great going from the air, directly down onto the general, eye balled disc-d location of the suspected target. Very good PP method IMO. Fast and perfectly accurate! ml

I read somwhere that you should not be too near the target with the coil or else you could get nulling out, and that you should not have the coil in the air at the beginning of the PP following trigger. Well, I was in fairly trashy ground on a searched and found target today, began seeking a clean spot to both sides, and I decided to test that theiry of having to be near the ground surface when triggering on PP. I raised the coil about 2 feet or more, directly over the ganeral X-d location of my disc'd 5 target, and then I triggered and lowered the coil to that basic spot, then very quickly honed-in the peak audio for a 4 1/4 depth reading. I then followed up with a second test pinpoint the regular way with the coil near the ground surface at the beginning and off to the side before trigger is pulled, and the result was the same. I'm going to play with this air-method on step one for a while, because with the one sample test today, it just seems much quicker to get to proper pinpoint. It sped my one PP in moderately trashy ground!

Is there any weight to the advice to NOT go to air, and why? Maybe the poster was wrong or I read it out of context, plus I've slept since then. martin

coinnut
08-27-2011, 08:14 PM
I like that idea. :thinkingabout: I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't work :dontknow: Maybe if the target was 10 deep it may be a different story. I wonder if that works on every brand :confused: