PDA

View Full Version : Short hunt with my daughter today yields Indian Head

Tony Two-Cent
08-26-2011, 09:02 PM
For the first time ever, my eleven-year-old daughter asked if she could go with me on my hunt after work today. Of course I want her to be interested but I've never forced it on her. I was happy that she showed interest on her own.

We headed to a nearby small town and hunted around the school where she attended 2nd and 3rd grades. There is a newer school building there now, but there once was a much older school on the site. She had never been detecting with me before so I wondered how her attention span would hold up, but she stayed interested the entire time and was right there peering into the hole every time I dug.

We found several clad dimes and memorial cents, then found a couple of wheats. I was hoping for a silver coin so she could see what they look like coming out of the ground, but it wasn't to be this time. She did get very excited when we found an Indian Head cent though, and I must say that it did my heart good to see her showing such enthusiasm. Hopefully a seed has been planted, time will tell. :yes:

Here's the Indian Head and Wheat Cents we found:

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/1906-Indian-Head.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Group-1.jpg

MassDirtFisher
08-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Congrats on many levels. So happy to see the younger ones get interested in things like metal detecting. Its a great bonding experience as well as discovering and holding history. Way to go, and Happy future Hunting with your daughter.

Outlaw 1-3
08-26-2011, 09:06 PM
It is always cool when you can get your kids interested in your hobbies. My 11 and 12 year old boys are getting interested in metal detecting now, and I bought each of them a Bounty Hunter Lone Star ... great beginners detector. :)

Great IH and wheaties!

Chris

coinnut
08-26-2011, 09:12 PM
Nice hunt. She may not go out with you a lot, but every once in a while she may surprise you. I bet she was thinking that Indian Head penny must be worth a lot of money lol Great job on spending some quality time with her :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Tony Two-Cent
08-26-2011, 09:32 PM
Nice hunt. She may not go out with you a lot, but every once in a while she may surprise you. I bet she was thinking that Indian Head penny must be worth a lot of money lol Great job on spending some quality time with her :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Thanks, George! By the way, I used your toothpick and dishwashing liquid method to clean that Indian Head. It was the first time I'd tried it and the results were amazing. I wish I'd taken a photo of it before the cleaning. Thanks for the great tip, it will definitely come in handy in the future!

del
08-26-2011, 09:43 PM
congrats Tony , it does the heart good when we get to share something with our kids . heres to some more quality hunts with her :beerbuddy:

firstring
08-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Totally awesome finds. The IH is one of my favorite coins. It's good to dig a little history with your daughter. It's even better to share the time together. Great job.

jkress
08-26-2011, 10:15 PM
Great post Tony. Must have been a rewarding experience for the two of you. Plus... you pulled a couple of nice ones. :clapping:
Especially the IH. I can't wait until my 2.5 year old wants to go treasure hunting with me. :smitten: She does ask me
if I'm going medal tecting from time to time and loves to see daddy's treasures. Putting on the silver rings is her
favorite thing to do.

The IH is in great shape. It cleaned up nicely.
Congrats on a fun hunt.

Ill Digger
08-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Good story Tony! And a great out come to go along with it :clapping:
My youngest boy (9) likes to go with me from time to time.
One trip out with me while he was using my Prizm IV he found his very own IH!
It times like this that make memories for life :daydream: :yes:
Nice finds!
Congrats :grin:

coinnut
08-27-2011, 08:29 PM
Thanks, George! By the way, I used your toothpick and dishwashing liquid method to clean that Indian Head. It was the first time I'd tried it and the results were amazing. I wish I'd taken a photo of it before the cleaning. Thanks for the great tip, it will definitely come in handy in the future!

You're welcome. But I am sure I borrowed that trick from someone else lol I'm just the messenger ;)

JTGOLD
08-27-2011, 10:00 PM
nice finds and a good hunt and even a better hunt with your daughter along with you,sounds like it was realy a fun day and one to remember.hopefuly many more days to come.

bob_e99
08-28-2011, 08:31 AM
Simply awesome indian head and to be able to hunt with your daughter makes it all that much more special. May you share many more together.

aloldstuff
08-29-2011, 08:53 AM
A hunt with your daughter is fantastic, and you got an very nice IH to go along with some great company. Congrats

randy
08-29-2011, 06:40 PM
Double congrats :cheering: May you folks find the silver twice as fast now.

wingmaster
08-29-2011, 06:59 PM
Nice looking IH, congrats.