PDA

View Full Version : Tapping on Surface Coins

kamogawa
08-27-2011, 04:56 PM
If I get a signal and it looks like the coin might be on the top of the ground or an inch deep, I will pull out my coin probe and tap around until I feel or hear a clinking noise. I may not be in Vegas, but I love the sound and easy recovery. :rolleyes:

coinnut
08-27-2011, 08:01 PM
I use my probe, but I turn it on first lol The inline probe I have can usually hit a target around 2 deep. Plus the centering is dead on that close.

kamogawa
08-27-2011, 08:50 PM
LOL lol I guess we're talking about two different probes. :confused: Sometimes I just like the old fashioned one. ;)

Epi-hunter
08-27-2011, 09:12 PM
LOL lol I guess we're talking about two different probes. :confused: Sometimes I just like the old fashioned one. ;)

Yeah, but really, no need for a probe that long for a surface find.

I am with George. I just put my X-1 probe on the ground and I know right where it is (I do this with any finds 3 inches or below). Just pull it out with my fingers.

coinnut
08-27-2011, 09:20 PM

rofl I guess we are lol I can forsee some chicken and mushrooms and other fine delicious things grilling on that probe though :daydream:

Dimeman
08-28-2011, 01:51 PM
rofl I guess we are lol I can forsee some chicken and mushrooms and other fine delicious things grilling on that probe though :daydream:

put a couple marshmellows on it and pass them over a grill fire :grin:

kamogawa
08-28-2011, 05:45 PM
LOL I just picked a random picture off the Internet of a probe and attached it.
Mine is not that long and is at the in-laws with a back-up detector.
Gee, that did look like a marshmallow skewer, didn't it?

RobW
08-31-2011, 03:55 PM
Oh, I so can't comment on this one or I WILL be kicked off the forum rofl

But on a more serious note.....I too use my probe to locate and thus dig a smaller hole, even if it is only an inch or so down....I sure George still make's his standard 4 foot holes so he doesn't scratch them :poke:...is that a poke or a probe? :behave: rofl

bob_e99
09-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Not being out of my first year of detecting, I can't tell you how embarassing it is (even if no one is watching) to cut a plug only to find the coin sitting on the surface :embarrassed: . The E-trac sometimes shows close coins deeper than they actually are located. Needless to say, while I'm getting better at checking the surface, I still get fooled on occassion.

Jason in Enid
09-12-2011, 09:28 AM
The E-trac can let you if you have a surface target several ways. First, you don't get a smooth response, you get a double or triple beep. Second, when you pinpoint, you get a very small, very hard BEEP. Deeper targets have a little ramp up into the center zone.

Thinking of it in reverse can help you identify large, deep objects. If your depth meter says it's at or almost on the surface, but you aren't getting those tell-tale signs then you probably have very large, yet deep target.

bob_e99
09-12-2011, 11:16 AM
The E-trac can let you if you have a surface target several ways. First, you don't get a smooth response, you get a double or triple beep. Second, when you pinpoint, you get a very small, very hard BEEP. Deeper targets have a little ramp up into the center zone.

Thinking of it in reverse can help you identify large, deep objects. If your depth meter says it's at or almost on the surface, but you aren't getting those tell-tale signs then you probably have very large, yet deep target.

This is very good information. I'll have to focus better on what the detector is doing. Thanks for posting it.