PDA

View Full Version : by comparison

BOWSER
08-28-2011, 10:15 AM
i have seen a few hurricanes around Boston, there have been much worse in the 50's hurricane CAROL AND later DIANE were terrible Things may be bad in places but these news youngsters have no idea.Lotta hype goin on

midas
08-28-2011, 11:05 AM
I agree. The kids nowadays are nothing but pansies. Schools are cancelled on Monday. :girlcry: The wimping of America continues.

Dimeman
08-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Some hype to that one :eyebrow: but it is always better to be safe than sorry---- it could have strengthened to a catagory 3 .

A gulf coast resident...................

coinnut
08-28-2011, 04:21 PM
Yep, they were asking us not to drive in town a long time before it even got here 8/ Over reaction is a common practice after you have a tornado and then an earthquake in an area that rarely has either. This kind of mentality will continue when it snows too. Legal worries have made representatives go overboard on things like state of emergencies, curfews, school closings, etc... We never had them when I was growing up and we have had some real nasty hurricanes and blizzards. The storm is well past now and we were spared again. No damage here and the schools up the road are closed tomorrow. :dontknow: I understand things could have been worse, but we have been going overboard here in New England in the media department and I'm just getting a bit tired of it. I can definitely see the need for that amount of caution in North Carolina which will get the full hit from it. But inland where I am, is a long way from the ocean with much colder waters to help us out. Springfield MA said no driving after midnight (last night) It was barely raining. It was no where near us last night and they inconvenienced everyone and had businesses close early.

Epi-hunter
08-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Politics play a role. Had they not made such a big deal of it and it turned out worse than expected, and people died.... they would have been accused of not taking enough precautions and of not being prepared, and then everyone would be beating them up for that.

coinnut
08-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Politics play a role. Had they not made such a big deal of it and it turned out worse than expected, and people died.... they would have been accused of not taking enough precautions and of not being prepared, and then everyone would be beating them up for that.

Yeah that job stinks lol I don't want to be mayor :girlcry: or police chief lol

SeabeeRon
08-29-2011, 06:41 PM
Good to hear you guys came thru it safe & sound! :clapping:

MartinL
08-29-2011, 10:47 PM

Politics. It is sad how that dictates serious issues. I do wish though that we had more politics during Katrina when all that mahem was going on. That was a black eye on our country. martin

JTGOLD
08-30-2011, 09:02 AM
either way a hurricane is one thing I wouldn't play with.

aloldstuff
09-01-2011, 01:36 PM
MOM the powers out, now what can I do.

BOWSER
09-01-2011, 07:40 PM
After posting this ,i feel embarassed,because the people in Vermont got really hammered. :shocked04:

sandals
09-02-2011, 10:01 AM
some of you know me and know that when these storms come in, I am on the beach during them...but this one was a bit different and I am glad for all the warnings and such ahead of time....yes, now it seems it may have been too much hype but when you are sitting here during it and you look around afterwards, I for one am happy that they prepared us for something worse.....our beaches are just now being opened up from Irene due to massive erosion and I can say I am glad I was not on one this time and that I listened to what they said....had she come in where they said she would and at the power they were predicting, no telling what would have happened....