PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Hunt

bob_e99
08-30-2011, 03:14 PM
After a dissapointing hunt at Hampton Beach on Monday, I decided to try a new place this morning. Funny thing is that when I first started to hunt, all I was finding were quarters (two-bit park I guess lol ). Also interesting was one of the dimes was a little bent out of shape.

[attachimg=1]

Among the pennies were two poor condition wheat.

[attachimg=2]

And I would be remissed if I didn't include some of the junk I found. It looks like someone had to walk home.

[attachimg=3]

And finally, a little silver ring with a missing stone. I almost didn't pull this out of the hole as I found a fake target (rusty nail) but fortunately, I remembered the first rule of detecting to always double check the hole.

[attachimg=4]

Not a totally bad hunt but that 19th century silver coin continues to elude me.

Thanks

JTGOLD
08-30-2011, 03:36 PM
nice coin count and cute silver ring,I like the little car,good hunt,wtg.

aloldstuff
08-30-2011, 03:43 PM
I have hunted Hampton beach (my mother lives up on Boars Head). Surprisingly I found a 1920 buff. It looked like they were scraping the beach. At the town beach I found a silver ring. Don't really like beach hunting but my sister just bought a 1850's farm up there so I will be hitting that real soon. Congrats on your hunt.

z118
08-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Is the ring stamped? Either way, great hunt - but you forgot to dig the nickels! lol Start working on those and maybe you'll be surprised with a gold ring. You never know! Congrats!

bob_e99
08-30-2011, 04:14 PM
I have hunted Hampton beach (my mother lives up on Boars Head). Surprisingly I found a 1920 buff. It looked like they were scraping the beach. At the town beach I found a silver ring. Don't really like beach hunting but my sister just bought a 1850's farm up there so I will be hitting that real soon. Congrats on your hunt.

Beach hunts are not my preferred choice although I enjoy them periodically and I figured with the storm surge it might be interesting. That nickel is a great coin find for the beach. I think most people detect there for the jewelry potential. Monday must have been the detectors' reunion for the year because the beach was essentially closed to swimmers so pretty much everyone there and their kids were swinging detectors. It was fun to see. The farm sounds like it's going to be great. I wish you some great hunting on it.

Is the ring stamped? Either way, great hunt - but you forgot to dig the nickels! lol Start working on those and maybe you'll be surprised with a gold ring. You never know! Congrats!

I believe that it is stamped but it is so tiny that I have a hard time making it out. The ring itself is pretty small so there's not a lot of space to stamp stuff. In any case, I need better magnifying tools. And yes, I haven't seemed to have found my groove for nickels with the E-trac. I need to work on that. Pretty much everything I dig down low turns out to be garbage or mutilated pennies.

Thanks.

jkress
08-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Nice bunch of target to dig bob. :clapping: Very nice clad haul.
The rosie is quite a bit bent. I'll bet that was a less than perfect signal.
You are right, the two wheat cents are rough. Any chance you were digging in clay?
The ring is a nice one for your collection. Congrats.

bob_e99
09-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Apologies for the delay in answering your question but yes, there was a layer of clay under the good soil. You appear to know your soil conditions quite well.

Thank you.

OxShoeDrew
09-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Bob, you'll dig an 1800s silver very soon if you continue to catch such large hauls. Thanks for the pics.

Cheap Thrills
09-01-2011, 05:55 PM
It looks like you had some fun . thumbsup01 :cool: