PDA

View Full Version : How to ... use 10 AAA NiMH's instead of 8 AA NiMH's

Vito
09-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Some time ago I made this modification to a standard battery pack for a Minelab Sovereign GT, too. Think it will do it for a lot of detectors which will use the 8 AA cells.

Have fun and HH. =)

Battery Pack Modification (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0frjkbrBhc&feature=channel_video_title#ws )

BOWSER
09-01-2011, 10:34 PM
vito i bought new double a's online ,when i put them in the mxt, the machine became very erratic and i had to bring the gain down to 7 before it straightened out.when it powered up it read 13, is that normal. :confused:

Vito
09-02-2011, 04:50 AM
vito i bought new double a's online ,when i put them in the mxt, the machine became very erratic and i had to bring the gain down to 7 before it straightened out.when it powered up it read 13, is that normal. :confused:

Are you talking about rechargeables, Jim? If so, for 8 AA sized NiMH (each one with 1.2 Volt) a 13 Volt readout will be very good; as you know the voltage result will be 9.6 . The voltage right after charging can be a little higher but will fall very fast if the rechargeables will be loaded by switching on the electronics.
Will your detector do this erratic things when you insert alkalines?

BOWSER
09-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Vito these are Duracell pro-cell alkie batteries , i have never had luck with rechargeables

Vito
09-03-2011, 04:47 AM
Vito these are Duracell pro-cell alkie batteries , i have never had luck with rechargeables

Ohh... in this case the 13Volts are normal. But what it's not is the behavior of the detector.

May be there is some dirt or corrosion to the power-connetions? So I'd have a look to the hooks inside the detector and the pads to the battery pack. Wiping them with a cotton bud wont hurt at all.

Have you changed the coil to exclude this one?

[attachimg=1]

wingmaster
09-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Great info, thats the only reason I never used the regular rechargables because of the low voltage they are only 1.2V where the non-rechargables are 1.5V and I usually change the batteries when they show 10V. At 10V you can hear a noticable reduction in the volume of the start up beep and I'm afraid of missing some of those deep whisper signals. There are some new rechargables out that are 1.6V they are NiZn rechargables made by powergenix but I would have to order them as I don't know anywhere around here that sells them. Thanks for posting the video and HH

BOWSER
09-05-2011, 01:33 AM
I have posted this before,i dislike rechargeables because every time i have tried them they would work for a short time and i would find that one or 2 of the batteries would fail during the charging period and would not be the same voltage at the end of the charging period. As a matter of fact i have had 2 power drills and and a weedwacker with rechargebles that crapped out,only to find the replacement batterie was more than the item itself. Craftsman and BLACK and DECKER. Thanks for nothin..I like alkies,never had a prblem.