PDA

View Full Version : What is it and how old is it ?

zeus9876
09-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Got this the other day but have no idea of it's age or where it came from. I've been told possibly Spanish or from Peru ??

It's made of Pewter and is quite Thick and has the same design on both sides.

Any help would be very useful as i haven't a clue.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa71/zeus98765/photo-19.jpg

del
09-01-2011, 03:24 PM
hello Zeus , first welcome to the forum.

your piece is a cast copy of a spanish cob treasure coin , if real it would of been made of silver and most likely just off struck from a set of dies and not so uniformed looking from poured cast metal like pewter in a mould . it is a neat conversation piece though , thanks for showing it .

Dan

zeus9876
09-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Thanks Del. I'll probably not be posting much as i am a detectorist from across the pond in the UK. This was given to me by my father who kept it because it was odd and looked old. So i just wanted to get an ID on it and now i can happily tell him what it is.

Not many american coins come up over here but i did hear of a buffalo head nickel that was found on one of the local beaches the other week.

del
09-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Zeus just because your from the other side of the pond doesn't mean your not allowed to post here , we love to see the kind of relics and coins other hobbyist find from all over . please i encourage you to post your finds , we share the same passion for the hobby and the same thrill when we recover old relics and coins . don't let the name American Detectorist make you think your excluded because of your location outside of the states after all we in the northeast finds your country's coins all the time lol lol .

Dan

zeus9876
09-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Thanks, I will from time to time post up what finds i have found over here. I may start with my Le Tene Brooch 1 dated 4th to 3rd century BC, but thats for another topic :)

Any idea how old the cast copy above is and would it have any value ? Just like to put little notes with my coins so i don't forget as i am useless for remembering things.

del
09-01-2011, 04:29 PM
to put a date on that copy :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: that i just wouldn't know :dontknow: pewter hasn't been used for something like that in a while . if i had to make a guess i'd say late 60's to maybe early 80's , but don't quote me on it . :grin: if you ever get a definate on the age i would be interested to hear , Zeus . take care and don't be a stranger.

Dan