PDA

View Full Version : Determining counterfeit silver?

switch
09-03-2011, 09:15 AM
Is an accurate test on silver coins the ring and pitch it makes if you tap them? Does the pitch matter or is it the length of the bell tone/vibration? Does anyone know? :dontknow:

This is the suspected fake, two ANA members told me it was real they physically looked at it with a magnifier (this was not detected).
[the rainbow color on the front is due to trying to keep the file large while keeping it small enough to add]

del
09-03-2011, 04:47 PM
hey Switch , period counterfiet morgans would usually be made of cast pewter lead or some type of pot (white cast) metal and then either plated or layered in real silver or silver gilt. the ones the chinese are making are out of somekind of stainless steel alloy they look good and a magnet would stick to it either , for a while the jewelers were having a tough time telling the difference between real silver jewelry and the chinese fakes because this steel alloy is heavy and it passes the magnet test.

Dan

switch
09-03-2011, 05:23 PM
hey Switch , period counterfiet morgans would usually be made of cast pewter lead or some type of pot (white cast) metal and then either plated or layered in real silver or silver gilt. the ones the chinese are making are out of somekind of stainless steel alloy they look good and a magnet would stick to it either , for a while the jewelers were having a tough time telling the difference between real silver jewelry and the chinese fakes because this steel alloy is heavy and it passes the magnet test.

Dan

Del,

Thanks for the reply, a couple things I have noticed. The outside is silver at least...I don't know about the inside...It rings like silver but the pitch is higher, it passes magnet, but it seems to be a little lighter than normal. I am confused for sure... also the rotation on the two pictures is accurate... I just don't know. :-\

switch
09-03-2011, 07:26 PM
cointalk members pretty much verified that it is a Chinese fake. put this one in your books for reference. :(

Now to fight the seller. :dontknow:

link to cointalk thread: http://www.cointalk.com/t191407/

If this link is not allowed, just delete it. I thought It might be helpful.