PDA

View Full Version : Button & Buckle

aloldstuff
09-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Rob, Tim and I went to a house that Rob had secured permission for us to hunt. The button has a nice flower design on it, don;t know if the picture captures it. I'm thinking late 1700's to early 1800's. Experts please chime in. The buckle measures 3 x 1 1/2. It has beaded interior ( most of it, some seems to be broken off). There is also beading around the exterior. I started to clean it and there is some silver color coming thru the back. Possibly a shoe buckle or a sash buckle, again experts please chime in. I managed 1 wheat but I can't get a date yet, so it's soaking.

Thanks for reading and keep digging

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-03-2011, 06:37 PM
nice finds! that button should clean up much better if ya use a soft toothbrush or fine brass bristled brush and dish soap with water.the design should be nicely visible then.

jkress
09-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Nice old button you have there. Sure wish we had some of those true oldies in our ground here.
Post another picture when you get it all cleaned up. :->

OxShoeDrew
09-04-2011, 05:35 PM
That button about nickel size? Nice find.

del
09-04-2011, 09:17 PM
hey Al how big is the button quarter size or bigger?? the buckle looks very light or thin and out of stamped copper or brass , if its easily bendable its probably for looks over functionality like a sash , hat or the like.

Cheap Thrills
09-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Cool !!It would be nice if you could hunt that spot again . :cool: thumbsup01

aloldstuff
09-06-2011, 08:01 AM
hey Al how big is the button quarter size or bigger?? the buckle looks very light or thin and out of stamped copper or brass , if its easily bendable its probably for looks over functionality like a sash , hat or the like.

Hey Del, the button is larger than a quarter. The metal is silver colored and not easily bendable. I really have to start putting a size reference with my pictures... 8/