PDA

View Full Version : Large Cluster Gold Diamond Ring Found & Returned

cdv
09-03-2011, 07:21 PM
My last full day at Myrtle and I'm fighting my body to keep up the pace. I was up at 2am and out on the beach, nothing but hoop earrings and a few cents of clad. Then at 9:30 took the wife out till noon and nada in the pouch. Took a nap and headed out at 4pm for the receding tide. Waves were big today and I had no plans on going in the water but shortly after starting this nice man came up to me and asked if I could try to find his wifes diamond cluster ring. Now normally when something like this happens the person has no idea where they exactly were but this couple had some heads on their shoulders and said they hadn't moved from this spot and it was waist deep and knew what time it was so I had an idea how it might be later at low tide. I marked the spot with landmarks and then tried to find it but got beat up with the waves. I came out of the water and said I'd try again when the tide was low. Well long story short, I put in about 40 minutes trying and was still getting beat by the waves and my shorts were falling off so I went to shore to pull them up and set my detector down on the sand.... headphones still on and the detector was screaming... so I dug and darned if it wasn't the ring. I know it sounds like a made up story but honestly, that is exactly how it happened. I had their room number and decided before giving it back I'd at least take it to the room and get a picture of it. The husband ran into me before I could get to their room. I had him describe it, hoping this wouldn't be the ring but he described it exactly. It was the first ring he ever gave his wife.

He asked what he could give me for finding it and I said nothing is necessary.... his smile and handshake was plenty for me.....

That made my 10 my total for rings found this week at myrtle.....providing I don't find any tomorrow morning before we check out....

Cliff

del
09-03-2011, 09:37 PM
thats a great story Cliff thumbsup01 and it shows the kind of character your made of sir . :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: i commend you :perfect10: :perfect10:

cdv
09-04-2011, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the comment Del, but I was really hoping that it wasn't hers.... but the wife was hoping more than me, she loved that ring. On a side note, I saw the couple this morning and got a hug from the lady.... she was not wearing any jewelry on her hands...
Cliff

tanacat
09-04-2011, 08:39 AM
:yes: Very admirable Cliff. Wow, that couple sure were lucky to have you around. I found a chunky 1936 gold class ring that I returned and the happiness it brought her (it was her mother's class ring- she'd passed away 10 yrs earlier) was worth the $$ I could've sold it for.

That story is wild about how you found it - I believe it. I found a Franklin half similiar to that, was giving up and disappointed, about to pack my detector in the car and my very last swing before I turned it off, screamed 50 cent piece at me. I turned it back on and low and behold it was lol

firstring
09-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Way to go!! You honor this forum and metal detectorists everywhere. I've personally have had people come up to me to explain the evils of a day's hunt. I listen patiently to them and then ask who would they turn to if their life partner lost a piece of jewelry important to them. They usually have blank stare, say nothing and leave. Thank you for reminding me this hobby is much more. It's also about helping others.

aloldstuff
09-06-2011, 09:57 AM
Excellent story, great Karma coming your way. :perfect10: :perfect10:. You have given this hobby a great lurch forward in the eyes of that couple. Thank you for doing this.

jkress
09-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Wow... what an incredible vacation week. <:
This ring is simply gorgeous. It's amazing how falling shorts lol lead to the find of this ring. :shocked04: What are the odds. :dontknow:
Loved your post and congrats on finding the ring... and a bigger congrats on reuniting it with it's owner. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

JTGOLD
09-11-2011, 11:37 AM
very pretty ring and congrats on the return of the ring.

rsarge1
09-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Excellent story, great Karma coming your way. http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/Smileys/SoLoSMiLeYS1/perfect10.gif http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/Smileys/SoLoSMiLeYS1/perfect10.gif.

cnr_dogs
09-26-2011, 08:28 AM
Good find and recovery WTG on the return good PR for the hobby and will pay dividends for you

Shipwreck
11-05-2011, 09:11 PM
:perfect10:Well Done :perfect10:

milco
11-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Congrats on the find and the big return, well done!