PDA

View Full Version : Soil Conditions

bob_e99
09-05-2011, 11:29 AM
I recently detected in a 'park' (I use the term loosely since it was very much neglected) and every time I would get a good signal, I'd dig a hole, check to see if the target was still in the hole and then put the pinpointer in to see if it was close. The problem was that when I put the pinpointer in the hole, it would vibrate from all directions :hairpulling: . The 'soil' was not dirt but more like dry, very small stones :dontknow: . The inability to use the pinpointer eventually became too frustrating and I just gave up :-\ . I'm not sure I lost anything as the ground was also full of crushed cans and other various metal parts. I was wondering if anyone has run into something similar and are there any tips for detecting in this type of ground when the pinpointer becomes useless?

Thanks.

Myownwings
09-05-2011, 01:17 PM
When that happens to me I de-tune the propointer by placing it in the hole and turning it off and then back on again while still in the hole. I can then, at least get a sense of direction of the object. Generally it is always something very large and much deeper (ie, old axe head, soda can, etc, or farm implement). You can sometimes avoid going through all that if you raise your coil about six inches over the target and you still get a reading while passing over the item. That indicates that the item is large.

del
09-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Bob , hotrocks can give your detector a good signal alot of times as with the pinpointer . hot rocks can be anything from the hard burnt coal ash (usually small iron pebbles that are mixed in with coal that doesn't burn up ) all of this was used in the late 1800's to about the 1940's or 50's and got dumped constantly in land fills ,lawns and even some parks and school grounds. the other variations of hotrocks are highly mineralize rocks or stones that are so loaded with iron or other metals that will make a detector ring out usually like a false-ing signal but can be somewhat repeatable. some upper level machines will be able to compensate for these hotrocks or tune them out all together. as for the other machines using less sensitivity will help but your also kind of defeating your purpose with getting more depth too.

Dan

bob_e99
09-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Bob , hotrocks can give your detector a good signal alot of times as with the pinpointer . hot rocks can be anything from the hard burnt coal ash (usually small iron pebbles that are mixed in with coal that doesn't burn up ) all of this was used in the late 1800's to about the 1940's or 50's and got dumped constantly in land fills ,lawns and even some parks and school grounds. the other variations of hotrocks are highly mineralize rocks or stones that are so loaded with iron or other metals that will make a detector ring out usually like a false-ing signal but can be somewhat repeatable. some upper level machines will be able to compensate for these hotrocks or tune them out all together. as for the other machines using less sensitivity will help but your also kind of defeating your purpose with getting more depth too.

Dan

I have seen the term 'hotrocks' mentioned in several posts and never understood to what it was referring. Your description sounds exactly like the soil I mentioned and it would make sense for the area the park was located. Thank you Dan for the great explanation.

When that happens to me I de-tune the propointer by placing it in the hole and turning it off and then back on again while still in the hole. I can then, at least get a sense of direction of the object. Generally it is always something very large and much deeper (ie, old axe head, soda can, etc, or farm implement). You can sometimes avoid going through all that if you raise your coil about six inches over the target and you still get a reading while passing over the item. That indicates that the item is large.

Great tip (really great) regarding the pinpointer. This would have been worth knowing early on and I can assure you it will be extremely useful to me from this point forward.

Thank you both for your responses. I feel like I'm in grade school and getting a whole new education.

Bob

wingmaster
09-08-2011, 04:06 AM
Yep that burnt coal is a problem even for old farm and house sites, but thankfully they usually only dumped it in one location.