PDA

View Full Version : King George the 3rd

sniffy
09-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Spent a few hours deep in the CT wilderness swingng the ole coil. I decided to head back to some sites that I haven't completely pounded to smithereens.....one the way I decided to stop at one paticular cellar hole that has produced some nice coins and such....this site sits pretty low at the base of a large hill and the ground seems to stay moist all year. Today the ground was very wet and the signals were all new As usual, I pop my headphones on and head up the bank swinging thinking that I must have missed something....and then....KABLAM...kablam...KABLAM....quarter..quart er...QUARTER!!! Right at the base of the cellar hole I've been to a million times....however...my machine was telling me that it was 6-8 inches deep...at first I wrote it off as a D buckle or MAAAAAAAAYbe a shoebuckle....but prolly a harmonica reed...nope...a 1775 KGIII at around 9 inches I guesstimated. Awesome!! SOOOO never mind the other site I wanted to go to....I focused more attention here and came up with these goodies....anyone know what the circle glass piece is? It was patented in 1872...looks like a clay pigeon but has threads on the bottom as if it would screw onto something......:huh:thinkingabout: OH AND BTW....I am very proud of the cleaning I did on the copper.....it took 2 hours....STUBBORN CONCRETE!

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-05-2011, 07:25 PM
what a day Jess! it came out nice! i still say theres more at that site!

del
09-05-2011, 07:29 PM
great looking copper Jesse , could be a counterfiet as the 1770's were very counterfieted coins back then. super cleaning job :perfect10:

mike l
09-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Wow man, that is a sweet coin. Please tell me the method you used to clean it, awesome. That circle relic looks like the top to a mason jar although I never saw one with that design.

sniffy
09-05-2011, 07:39 PM
what a day Jess! it came out nice! i still say theres more at that site!
we would have went back there last weekend, but we were ever so interupted by JAAAAAAASON and his big old machete.

sniffy
09-05-2011, 07:42 PM
great looking copper Jesse , could be a counterfiet as the 1770's were very counterfieted coins back then. super cleaning job :perfect10:
I really hope it is counterfeit.....I've been wanting one for a long time. A counterfeit one would read considerable lower than a regal correct. I guess i'll have to fire up the DFX and see what kind of numbers I get off of this one...

sniffy
09-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Wow man, that is a sweet coin. Please tell me the method you used to clean it, awesome. That circle relic looks like the top to a mason jar although I never saw one with that design.
Hot hydrogen peroxide, q tips, soft toothbrush, vaseline.

del
09-05-2011, 07:48 PM
I really hope it is counterfeit.....I've been wanting one for a long time. A counterfeit one would read considerable lower than a regal correct. I guess i'll have to fire up the DFX and see what kind of numbers I get off of this one...

a really good counterfiet wouldn't be that noticeable Jesse only the bad fakes .

sniffy
09-05-2011, 07:50 PM
a really good counterfiet wouldn't be that noticeable Jesse only the bad fakes .
true, true....what are some hints that it may be?

del
09-05-2011, 08:01 PM
true, true....what are some hints that it may be?

can you see any triangle shaped denticles around the edge or the coin front or back those are usually a good giveaway , your picture is just a tad to dark for me to tell.

sniffy
09-05-2011, 08:09 PM
i LOOked it over pretty good and I didn't see any....

OxShoeDrew
09-05-2011, 08:46 PM

Well, I hope its a fake for your sake! thumbsup01

li tom
09-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Sweet!What a beauty for a dug Copper.Just once I'd like to pop one that looks that good.

aloldstuff
09-06-2011, 08:04 AM
Very nice KG III. I'd rather have that over a harmonica reed any day. Congrats

del
09-07-2011, 01:36 PM
:shocked04: wow jesse your eyes must be going :twirlingeyes: are you sure your date on the coin is 1775 and not 1778 because it looks just like this Vlack 11-78A. scarce variety Machin Mills counterfiet . better check it again :beatdown: :beatdown: Don on the other forum gets all the credit as i just assumed you knew how to read the correct date from a coin Jesse . lol rofl rofl hey huge congrats again this one lists as scarce with about 250-499 coins known

sniffy
09-07-2011, 06:59 PM
:shocked04: wow jesse your eyes must be going :twirlingeyes: are you sure your date on the coin is 1775 and not 1778 because it looks just like this Vlack 11-78A. scarce variety Machin Mills counterfiet . better check it again :beatdown: :beatdown: Don on the other forum gets all the credit as i just assumed you knew how to read the correct date from a coin Jesse . lol rofl rofl hey huge congrats again this one lists as scarce with about 250-499 coins known
all i can say is whoa....At first I told myself 1778, but I said nahhhh it couldn't be. whoa.

tanacat
09-15-2011, 03:01 PM
:clapping: Big time congrats!!!

Sal66
09-20-2011, 06:02 AM
:omg: Beautiful detail. Mine usually come up one side good and the other not so good. It doesn't even appear to have alot of patina on it, which usually is what holds the detail. Congrats!!

tanacat
09-20-2011, 07:26 AM
That's amazing how you were able to get the concrete off :shocked04: I bet you still have blisters on your fingers from all that hard work lol

sniffy
09-20-2011, 04:45 PM
That's amazing how you were able to get the concrete off :shocked04: I bet you still have blisters on your fingers from all that hard work lol
It did take quite a bit of effort and PATIENCE...

Civil War Nut
09-23-2011, 01:37 AM
Spent a few hours deep in the CT wilderness swingng the ole coil. I decided to head back to some sites that I haven't completely pounded to smithereens.....one the way I decided to stop at one paticular cellar hole that has produced some nice coins and such....this site sits pretty low at the base of a large hill and the ground seems to stay moist all year. Today the ground was very wet and the signals were all new As usual, I pop my headphones on and head up the bank swinging thinking that I must have missed something....and then....KABLAM...kablam...KABLAM....quarter..quart er...QUARTER!!! Right at the base of the cellar hole I've been to a million times....however...my machine was telling me that it was 6-8 inches deep...at first I wrote it off as a D buckle or MAAAAAAAAYbe a shoebuckle....but prolly a harmonica reed...nope...a 1775 KGIII at around 9 inches I guesstimated. Awesome!! SOOOO never mind the other site I wanted to go to....I focused more attention here and came up with these goodies....anyone know what the circle glass piece is? It was patented in 1872...looks like a clay pigeon but has threads on the bottom as if it would screw onto something......:huh:thinkingabout: OH AND BTW....I am very proud of the cleaning I did on the copper.....it took 2 hours....STUBBORN CONCRETE!
Hidy S . Nice finds . Have a good day and good luck .