PDA

View Full Version : 1811 HOME HUNT & COLONIAL MILL SITE

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-05-2011, 07:27 PM
last week secured permission to hunt a 1811 home today. I think most of the yard was filled in at some point or hammered hard by another detectorist back in the 70's or early 80's.most likely before this owner bought the home.
what a pleasure it was though to meet the owner and his wife.during the hunt she came out with a fresh homemade smoothie.ya just don't meet people like this everday!
i got a cool masonic emblem,a glass and brass picture type frame thingy.thought it was junk till i got it cleaned up .photo in it has long disappeared.a plain bridle rosette with leather strap piece still sanwiched under loop,some clad.not one wheatie in this yard which was suprising.i walked down to a old mill site just down the road.2 buttons one being a tombac and a old lock.was an enjoyable day because the homeowners made it enjoyable despite the lack of finds.ya can't win em all

del
09-05-2011, 07:34 PM
hey Dave some very interesting relics , glad you could get out today . cool mason's pin .

sniffy
09-05-2011, 07:37 PM
Bummer about that home site.... crying01 cool masons pin though.....you tried that old mill site again? Other side of the river?

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Bummer about that home site.... crying01 cool masons pin though.....you tried that old mill site again? Other side of the river?

no this is a different mill Jess.

sniffy
09-05-2011, 07:48 PM
no this is a different mill Jess.
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh.....colonial mill sites sound exciting, but seem very difficult to hunt.

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-05-2011, 08:38 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh.....colonial mill sites sound exciting, but seem very difficult to hunt.

ton of iron at this one and kinda close to road so alot of road trash as well.was frustrating and didn't stay long

aloldstuff
09-06-2011, 08:06 AM
What a difference....Tim gets met at the door by a 6'4 guy carrying a crowbar and you get a smoothie. Whats the secret. Congrats on your finds.

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-06-2011, 11:58 AM
What a difference....Tim gets met at the door by a 6'4 guy carrying a crowbar and you get a smoothie. Whats the secret. Congrats on your finds.

ha ha! i don't know? i got my selling line down pat i guess :dontknow: hi!~ my name is dave,what a gorgeous home! took me a long time to get up enough courage to knock on your door so here i am! it's kind of a strange question but has anyone ever asked to metal detect your yard? if you grant me permission i'd show ya all the finds i make and your welcome to have whatever you like.if i found any jewlery that may have belonged to you or family members you are more than welcome to have it back.you won't even be able to tell where i have dug a small plug.by that time they are interested and start askin questions like whats the best thing ya ever found etc,

it seems to work for me 80% of the time thumbsup01

aloldstuff
09-06-2011, 12:55 PM
ha ha! i don't know? i got my selling line down pat i guess :dontknow: hi!~ my name is dave,what a gorgeous home! took me a long time to get up enough courage to knock on your door so here i am! it's kind of a strange question but has anyone ever asked to metal detect your yard? if you grant me permission i'd show ya all the finds i make and your welcome to have whatever you like.if i found any jewlery that may have belonged to you or family members you are more than welcome to have it back.you won't even be able to tell where i have dug a small plug.by that time they are interested and start askin questions like whats the best thing ya ever found etc,

it seems to work for me 80% of the time thumbsup01

Ok..I have printed this and will memorize it.

RobW
09-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Ok..I have printed this and will memorize it.

You can leave out the part where they are welcome to keep anything when your out with me rofl

Great finds Dave. Love old Masonic stuff