PDA

View Full Version : frozen cellar holes hunt*coppers! silver

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-23-2010, 08:38 PM
we got into the trails at daybreak.stayed till dark.we found at least 10 cellar holes.a lot were tough digging but some were manageable.
sniffy struck first copper with a no date classic head half cent.he got a decent looking shoe buckle and a 189? ih .
george don't feel bad...sniffy dug for 15 mins chopping through ice only to get a 1967 clad quarter too :ticked:
i dug a 1892 barber dime at one site.a shield shaped buckle? any ideas Dan or George? also a pewter shield shaped thingy that definitely was mounted to something :confused:
a piece of sterling silver knife handle.the broken watch fob says William.L Marcy under his portrait
i went the whole day saying to myself not gonna get a copper today :bangahead01:
10 mins before we were ready to call it a day ..BINGO :yes: got one.a 1845 coronet head large cent.
we had a good day!

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-23-2010, 08:40 PM
more pics

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-23-2010, 08:42 PM
more pics

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-23-2010, 08:43 PM
more pics

coinnut
01-23-2010, 08:51 PM
You guys had a great day. Lots of good keepers there. A little bit of everything. Can't believe it's so frozen over there. We're supposed to get drenched with some rain Sunday / Monday. Maybe it will melt some of it....or it will freeze solid lol. Both them shields may just be horse hardware. I have some of those with the clips on the back and they are decorative pieces for a horse's leather. I'm assuming that buckle may just be the same. I have one just like it somewheres. I bet it felt good to see a copper jump out at ya :yes:

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-23-2010, 08:58 PM
You guys had a great day. Lots of good keepers there. A little bit of everything. Can't believe it's so frozen over there. We're supposed to get drenched with some rain Sunday / Monday. Maybe it will melt some of it....or it will freeze solid lol. Both them shields may just be horse hardware. I have some of those with the clips on the back and they are decorative pieces for a horse's leather. I'm assuming that buckle may just be the same. I have one just like it somewheres. I bet it felt good to see a copper jump out at ya :yes:

yeah the copper made my day! thought i had a spanish silver with that barber for a min :-\ :twirlingeyes:
thanks for the info on the shield shaped horse buckle.
that big cellar hole with the center chimney was undiggable.we will get back in the spring for sure! thumbsup01

del
01-23-2010, 09:00 PM
great hunt gentlemen , glad you got a copper Dave as well as some very interesting relics heres a link to your watch fob
http://www.nndb.com/people/987/000051834/
great pictures too.

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-23-2010, 09:02 PM
great hunt gentlemen , glad you got a copper Dave as well as some very interesting relics heres a link to your watch fob
great pictures too.

thanks Dan.really appreciate the link to this gentleman! thumbsup01

coinnut
01-23-2010, 09:04 PM
great pictures too.

Wow that's a lot of dry reading lol All I know is he don't look too happy to be dug up :poke:

randy
01-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Nice hunt guys, that one LC looks really nice.

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Nice hunt guys, that one LC looks really nice.

thanks randy.it looked nicer before i cleaned it :confused:

angellionel
01-24-2010, 09:31 AM
You did have a very good day out there, Dave. Those are some very nice finds and photos. thumbsup01 Seeing all of that snow is depressing though. :bangahead01: Hopefully it will all be gone soon.

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-24-2010, 10:14 AM
You did have a very good day out there, Dave. Those are some very nice finds and photos. thumbsup01 Seeing all of that snow is depressing though. :bangahead01: Hopefully it will all be gone soon.

thanks angel! yeah hopefully! it stinks hammering a target but it fills the fix needed to get through the winter

bmattioli
01-24-2010, 10:56 AM
Nice day out for you guys. Nice to see you both scored dealing with the frozen ground. I don't like chiseling through the ground. Happy you got your first one for the year..

John M
01-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Congrats on the finds.Hopefully those sites will be productive when they are thawed out.In any event you did the research for a later hunt.

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-25-2010, 06:47 AM
Congrats on the finds.Hopefully those sites will be productive when they are thawed out.In any event you did the research for a later hunt.

thanks John! yeah it was a half and half mission today.part recon/part recovery.we accomplished both thumbsup01

Krom
01-25-2010, 01:26 PM
Thanks for takin' the time to take them pictures, Dave. Every one of 'em is very impressive!
Great day, you's guys had. (Looks like the prayer is working for ya! :yes: lol)

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Thanks for takin' the time to take them pictures, Dave. Every one of 'em is very impressive!
Great day, you's guys had. (Looks like the prayer is working for ya! :yes: lol)

thanks Joe! thumbsup01 i love that prayer!