PDA

View Full Version : Question About Hunting With Other Detectorists

MartinL
09-09-2011, 02:09 AM
To me, there would be an uncomfortable aspect, or at least unconfortable moment, when hunting with a partner, especially a new partner. Say you are going to an old homestead, so of course there will be hot spots like the front porch steps and trees with roots uncovered, just to name a couple. So, who decides who get to search the very first spot right out of the starting gate? You see where I am coming from? I haven't hunted with a partner except by brother one time, and he clobbered me by hitting the porch steps quickly...spent most all of his time there while did more searching for signals that digging. I can see the uneasyness from both sides though. Nobody wants to have very little fun because thay aren't at the prime location(s), and the one hunting those spots should in a way feel kinda uneasy that they are getting the action. Are there gentlemen's agreements with detecting with a partner?

Is there a protocol like flipping a coin? Do you run a race(joke?) You may only have one hunt site that day, so how is it decided? martin

steve in so az
09-09-2011, 11:21 AM
AHhh, the joy of hunting alone :)
When I am with someone I ask what area do you want & I take the other. If they are not as experienced as you then you will be able to go over their choice later & get what they missed. If they are as exp as you then it's up for grabs.
If you have a real good loking site do you have to invite others always ? steve in so az

Dimeman
09-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Take half------one side of the house or barn or whatever buildings there are--- is yours the other side is theirs. Same with any location if you want to work it that way. When my brother and I get out together we usually go to a totlot area. He takes either the front half or the back half of the swings and other play area and I take the other half......when there is more than 1 other person with you---it's every man for himself !!!!!!!!!!! Dig fast !!!!!!!! :grin:

dave in iowa
09-09-2011, 12:48 PM
When Joe and I get out , doesnt matter who finds what or where , we go over each others area many times and have a good time and take pride in what ever each of us find , no compitition, just a good time

Dimeman
09-09-2011, 01:01 PM
When Joe and I get out , doesnt matter who finds what or where , we go over each others area many times and have a good time and take pride in what ever each of us find , no compitition, just a good time

Excellent reply !!!!!!!!!! :perfect10: :perfect10: :clapping: :clapping:

leojack
09-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Marty: sometimes it just dont matter.A beautiful day,a pal to hunt with,no ringing cell phones,places to be, people to meet,bells to be answered,and most importantly we're on the rite side of the grass.For me it dont get much better'n that.....jack from penna

jkress
09-09-2011, 10:41 PM
To add to what Dave said... We do seem to follow one simple unwritten rule. Who ever invites the other gets first choice.
If Dave invites me to one of his spots, I'll ask at the start of the hunt What direction are you heading?. I'll then take a different one.
He does the same thing when invited to one of my sites. Simple common courtesy. :)

Cheap Thrills
09-09-2011, 10:52 PM
I take my dog and all she asks is for me to throw a stick several times so she can fetch it . :yes: thumbsup01

del
09-09-2011, 11:00 PM
i've always detected with friends , Coinnut and i never squabble about who gets where to detect first as theres usually plenty of area to swing the coil . we both have our own ideas to what areas we like to hit first , its a hobby of inches and have both pulled up coins from where the other have just missed them . lifes to short to sweat the little things , get out there with a friend and enjoy the company .

OxShoeDrew
09-10-2011, 10:51 AM
All good replies. :peace: :groovy: :peace:

yazoo
09-11-2011, 07:41 AM
There is all ways more than one good spot at each hunt go look for the old outhouse or well,the backdoor or any of the other great spots that keep there secrets hid. The hunt is all about the enjoyment.Good friends to hunt with are always more valuable than any treasure. Just be thankfull that you still can do it. Good Luck .H.H. Yazoo

Sal66
09-11-2011, 04:42 PM
I think Del forgot a friend, ME! Well we use to hunt alot more before Lyme Disease messed me up , but my problem was finding where the hell he was. lol . Hell, I would forget where I was. Those woods can really make a person lose their way back to the path. If it wasn't for him and coinnut, I would have had to send out a search party or spend alot of time plotting with a GPS.
Seriously we usually have plenty of room. Although Del has gotten a few of the finds that I missed by inches. Remember the Large Cent. I walked up to a corner in a wall and after he retraced my steps but went a little further in and got a hit. Same thing with the Barber Half ( 1901??).
All in all, He's been a real caring friend and has taught me more than I could of by myself.

Best tip, stay within shouting distance and wear a brightly colored ORANGE vest, especially during hunting season. Also NEVER hunt in the WOODS ALONE. Remember the movie 127 hrs , PLEASE!

I'm not sure where all of you are from but HUNTING SEASON is upon us. SUNDAY is the only day in Connecticut that is closed to hunters.Although I heard Saturday was in the works.
Soory for getting off topic a little. >:{

Happy hunting thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Diggler
09-11-2011, 04:47 PM
I go both ways... Alone or with a buddy. Sure you wanna rush over to what looks to be the best spot, but it really doesn't matter. Coins always seem to be where you would least expect them. I also like to rehunt the spots they hit first and dig all the little peeps. Crazy what you can dig up after a site has been worked thoroughly.

Sal66
09-11-2011, 05:09 PM
I don't agree about going alone, IF it's in the woods. You may know your way and even be an expert, but you never know what can happen in the woods. Fall in a hole or get bit by a snake and a partner can be a real help. Especially when cell phone service sucks.
I've always tried to be safe and always will. It's a good thing to teach the young one's out there also. If you do it, they will. We all want to live to hunt another day and safety is the best way to insure that.

Happy Hunting. ;)

bob_e99
09-12-2011, 01:50 PM
The only other person I have detected with is my son and we just go our own way. He out detects me every time so it's never a problem for him which area I take. lol

I have also heard of people sharing signals so that at the end of a hunt both people end up with the same number of finds. Interesting concept!

As for wood hunting, which I enjoy, I will always remember when my wife and I were walking with our son and dog in some Vermont woods. The dog was off leash and walked over what looked like solid ground covered with leaves only to dissappear into a well. Fortunately, the water level was high and the dog was a good swimmer so she got out ok but it terrified us both that it could have been our son.

del
09-12-2011, 02:51 PM
The only other person I have detected with is my son and we just go our own way. He out detects me every time so it's never a problem for him which area I take. lol

I have also heard of people sharing signals so that at the end of a hunt both people end up with the same number of finds. Interesting concept!

As for wood hunting, which I enjoy, I will always remember when my wife and I were walking with our son and dog in some Vermont woods. The dog was off leash and walked over what looked like solid ground covered with leaves only to dissappear into a well. Fortunately, the water level was high and the dog was a good swimmer so she got out ok but it terrified us both that it could have been our son.

Bob its interesting that you brought up the sharing signals .
George and i share deep sounding iffy targets with each other all the time , its very interesting to see what different machines hear and process on the same item. i think its made us both much better detectorists in the long run . dug wells have always been a dangerous issue out in the woods as some idiots cover them up with anything from branches , 2x4's and even chicken wire , all of this just makes them more dangerous as the falling leaves just cover it up and later the branches or wood rots and you have an accident waiting to happen. just this reason alone is serious enough to make you go out with someone but there are many other dangerous scenerios that could happen.

Dan

dave in iowa
09-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Joe and I compare signals and check eachothers signals , from time to time ,

JTGOLD
09-12-2011, 09:59 PM
no other hunters in my area so I hunt by my self.