PDA

View Full Version : Indian Head observation

jkress
09-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Has anyone else noticed that Indian Head cents seem to have the widest range of id's when trash and/or depth is factored in?

In the last couple of months, I have observed that IH's will sometimes ID all across the board when it is not the only thing under the coil. Nickels, silver and wheat cents seem to stick somewhat closer to their respective ID's when trash and/or depth enter the equation.

The ferrous and conductivity readings really get stretched for this coin... at least for my machine.

I have been lucky enough to find 76 so far this year and many of them had me thinking pre-dig... Not sure what this is, but it is a coin down there.

I am very curious if anyone else has noticed this?

del
09-11-2011, 12:03 AM
i agree Joe they can vary a great deal in different conditions (soil moisture ,mineralization,trash) plus the early ones are a different composition all together to add to the guessing game . lol lol

JTGOLD
09-11-2011, 08:39 AM
they come in anywhere between 50 and 72 on my M6.

wingmaster
09-12-2011, 12:49 AM
I've noticed this as well, I've had some bronze ones in the nickle range. I was thinking maybe its more of how corroded they are, as some look really nice condition and others are all ate up.

fsa46
09-12-2011, 05:04 AM
they come in anywhere between 50 and 72 on my M6.

Ditto !

Joe, You're doing great with a 76 count on IH this year. :cheering:

bob_e99
09-12-2011, 01:27 PM
I have been lucky enough to find 76 so far this year ...

Personally, I'm blown away by that number. I have yet to find an IH but as I mentioned in another post, judging by your comments, I wonder if I would recognize the signal :thinkingabout:

I sure would hate to think that I'm leaving something that good in the ground.

In any case, congrats on the number... you're doing something right.

jkress
09-27-2011, 11:59 PM
Thanks a bunch for your input here everybody. thumbsup01

Ditto !
Joe, You're doing great with a 76 count on IH this year. :cheering:

Thank you fsa46. Things are starting to click for me this year. :dontknow:

Personally, I'm blown away by that number. I have yet to find an IH but as I mentioned in another post, judging by your comments, I wonder if I would recognize the signal :thinkingabout:
I sure would hate to think that I'm leaving something that good in the ground.

:embarrassed: Thank you bob.
I have noticed from my experience this year that IH's will vary plus or minus 1 to 4 points (either way but mostly lower) away from where they should hit on the Conductive scale... BUT, they certainly do slide all the way across the board on the Ferrous scale depending on pull tabs, iron, depth and even surface clad in close proximity.

It's a learning process as we go. :yes: That's why I am trying to tap into the collective knowledge of the members here. :)

plus the early ones are a different composition all together to add to the guessing game . lol lol

8/ I guess that's why I haven't found a fatty yet. :yes: lol Sooner or later. :daydream:

I've had some bronze ones in the nickle range.

:shocked04: ... Del had mentioned the same thing to me at one time. Now that I am really trying for that first solid gold ring for the year, maybe I'll pick one up as a surprise. Thanks for the info. thumbsup01

yazoo
09-28-2011, 06:21 AM
I have been running a modified deep silver program and use tone ID with mixed mode and instead of rejecting targets I assign them a 0 tone. Anyway I have been getting wheats and indians at +91 - +95 with a thin red line beside them when being noted on screen .Most have been in the 7-10 inch range. After digging quiet a few I have found it be rewarding and not junk. This does not hold true every time but has at least a 50 % chance. With this program also the high pitch peep can also be very brief and needs to be watched as well as listened to very close. Other times a nice clean high pitch is there. In clean ground it can be cranked up and I have pulled silver at 14 inches plus. Happy Hunting Yazoo

anotherpulltap
10-14-2011, 11:03 PM
I got 13 Indians out of a Virgin area. It's by the Duck Pond. Most read in the pulltap range and signal all over the places. After my first one, I just dug all deep signals. That's how them. Also I many wheats pennies: two 1909 (no D) and my only silver in that area is 1914 barber dime. Most are in great conditions. Here's my last Indian out of that area

jkress
10-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Very nice looking IH anotherpulltap! :shocked04:
It is in beautiful shape. On my machine, the rectangular pulltabs can come very close to IH readings. :yes:
The duck pond sounds like a wonderful place to spend some time detecting.

milco
10-17-2011, 07:23 PM
I am no coin expert but I bet the mix of copper, zinc and tin in those days was not always the same in the manufacturing process. Not to mention differing soil conditions as others have said.