PDA

View Full Version : Large Cent, Seated, Possible Sterling

aloldstuff
09-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Tim (massdirtfisher) and myself got out Sunday morning. Rob is on lockdown for two weeks. We managed to hit three spots. The first was a farm that I had hunted before and found some good items. This time around I got a silver plated flat button and a memorial. Second spot we hit was where I got the KG II. I managed a musket ball and a jefferson. The third spot was the charm. This spot is where I had found the Barber half. First off found a wheat, 1944. Then I got the what I think is a napkin ring which is monogramed D E G . It looks silver, is very flimsy but I can't find any markings. Next up was the seated dime, down about 7, 1876 and has full liberty. Next was the Large Cent. I don't have a date yet (it's soaking) but if anybody can tell me what type it is I would really appreciate it. Last was a 1913 wheat. Finally a really good day of digging.

Thanks for reading and keep digging

del
09-11-2011, 12:20 PM
great hunt Al , did you save any finds for Tim :dontknow: lol lol , your large cent is a matron head type 1816-1839 but looks like an earlier one . big congrats to you and boy are you going to make Rob envious to get out lol lol keep it up :grin:

aloldstuff
09-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Del, thanks for the kind words. Is there any special way that you clean your coppers? I usually use the soda, vegetable oil method but I look at some pictures on this forum of just dug LC's and then the after cleaning and I am amased at the difference.

del
09-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Al , alot depends on what the condition of the copper coin is when you first recover it . some you might not have to do much too , others are basket cases and nothing will help them out . yours looks very pitted and was subjected to alot of moisture and i don't think you'll get much more detail to show on that one . on average i usually only get 2 or 3 decent coppers out of a dozen i find . when i do get a good candidate for cleaning i use hot peroxide , q-tips , toothpicks and sometimes a heat lamp.

aloldstuff
09-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks Del, glad to know that only a small oercentage of coppers come out good and it's not really me destroying them

Tony Two-Cent
09-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Great finds! I especially love the seated dime! NICE! Someday I will find one!

Nice early Large Cent too, hopefully you'll get a date from it.

Good job on the successful hunt!

JTGOLD
09-11-2011, 09:00 PM
very nice finds,wtg.

jkress
09-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Nice!! Great hunt across the board. The napkin ring is interesting.
Seated and an LC would definitely be a dream hunt in my book.
Congrats on some great finds again Al. :clapping:

RobW
09-13-2011, 12:55 PM
boy are you going to make Rob envious to get out lol lol keep it up :grin:

See what happens when he goes out without me...he finds good things...least time it was another seated dime...he's not going to let me come play anymore :crying02:

Great finds...it's amazing what can be missed even after a good pounding at a site

angellionel
09-14-2011, 11:06 PM
Those are some sweet finds Al. I bet you can squeeze a few more keepers from that site.

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-15-2011, 05:25 AM
nice digs dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rob been a bad boy? why the lock down?

aloldstuff
09-15-2011, 07:02 AM
Those are some sweet finds Al. I bet you can squeeze a few more keepers from that site.

I'll be heading back this weekend

aloldstuff
09-15-2011, 07:03 AM
nice digs dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rob been a bad boy? why the lock down?

He has relatives up until Sunday I think.

russellt
09-15-2011, 08:48 PM
thats awesome. im jeaous in fact .. freaking sssuuuwwwwweeeettttt thumbsup01

Mudder
09-16-2011, 05:52 AM
Awsome hunt, I just found my first LC, it has a little more detail but not much more. WTG thumbsup01

aloldstuff
09-16-2011, 06:39 AM
Awsome hunt, I just found my first LC, it has a little more detail but not much more. WTG thumbsup01

I'm done cleaning this coin and still no date, Del was right again.

sniffy
09-16-2011, 04:21 PM
AWESOME!

Cheap Thrills
09-16-2011, 11:13 PM
What a great hunt Al , huge congrats !! :yes: :clapping: thumbsup01