PDA

View Full Version : 2 NEW CELLAR HOLES*BUTTONS & A COPPER

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-11-2011, 06:07 PM
a old high school friend shot me a message on FB saying he does some quadding and knows of a few colonial foundations.i talked to him today and got directions.
I found 2 of the foundations and buttons were surfacing at both sites.a large crotal bell,a sportsman buttin with a WADHAMS & CO superfine backmark a large dandy or cloak button & a double holed 1831 large cent came from the 2nd site.any ideas on the flattened ornate cone shaped brass item? Can it be a scabbard tip? :thinkingabout:
the 1st site is very overgrown with ferns.spent about 2 hours at each site.I think a return trip is in store when ferns are dead.these sites have more potential for sure!
Thanks Dave G from high school for the lead on these 2 sites!

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-11-2011, 06:10 PM
more pics

MassDirtFisher
09-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Great finds!! Another copper for the year. Nice looking buttons. Thats one big Bell. Congrats on all your finds. Happy Hunting!!

Tony Two-Cent
09-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Awesome finds! :clapping:

Do you think that Large Cent was used as a button? :thinkingabout:

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Awesome finds! :clapping:

Do you think that Large Cent was used as a button? :thinkingabout:

too heavy for a button.back then a popular toy was made with round objects and a string.called buzzers or whirligigs
http://www.historylives.com/toysandgames.htm

Tony Two-Cent
09-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Ah yes, my granfather used to make those for us grandkids out of a large button and a piece of string.

del
09-12-2011, 03:11 PM
:smitten: great crotal bell Dave (its a big'un too lol lol) to bad about the large cent :hairpulling: it was a decent one too. the cone thing could be the decorative top to a parasol or umbrella. nice day buddy. :clapping: :clapping:

aloldstuff
09-13-2011, 07:43 AM
Great recoveries and a nice friend to turn you on to those spots. That is one huge crotal bell. Don't feel bad about the two holes in your LC, I found one with 14 holes. Congrats on some nice hunting