PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinions and info for my next detector purchase, HELP

jerseycapelocal
09-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Hey All, Got into the hobby last November and I am finially ready to upgrade to a better detector. I have done countless hours researching units and I keep coming back to the same issue. I am surrounded by Atlantic ocean beaches on three sides beings that I live at the furthest Southern Point of NJ. My ACE 350 has been a good machine but I want to move down into the wet sand / waters edge on our beaches. I do travel to an ocassional field or park but mostly bay and ocean beaches. Through all of the research I have done I have come to one conclusion CONFUSION! I really like what I have read about the E Trac and I would rather shell out the extra dough now than have to keep buying machines and gradually working my way up. My only concern is that I see intermittent posts where people are saying that the E Trac is a ok beach machine. I know that you cant have the best of both worlds (outstanding on land and outstanding on beach) in one machine but I really want a decent machine that will produce and not be so so in the wet sand. I am not sure if I should be looking at a Whites PI, or a 300ID, or a ML Excal. I dont plan on diving with the unit. So to sum it all up looking for some E Trac beach guys for advice on which direction to go. Should I get a beach machine and maybe get a second unit down the road for dry land or shell it out and PU an E Trac:huh::huh:thinkingabout:? Your thoughts are appreciated! :daydream:

del
09-12-2011, 02:21 PM
hello Jerseycapelocal
first welcome to the forum . you definately have a dilemma , if i was in your shoes i would invest in a water machine (so i could wade out in the water) and not have to worry about getting the machine wet by a rogue wave or accidently dropping it in the water . most guys i've talked to say for every one ring you find on the sand you'll find 8 or more in the water , keep the machine you have now for land detecting. again welcome to AD , glad to have you with us .

Dan

del
09-13-2011, 11:49 PM
come on no one else has an opinion :dontknow: on this subject :grin:

jkress
09-14-2011, 12:14 AM
if i was in your shoes i would invest in a water machine (so i could wade out in the water) and not have to worry about getting the machine wet by a rogue wave or accidently dropping it in the water .

Great advice. :yes: My thoughts exactly when I read the post.
From where you listed as places you want to detect. A water machine would definitely be my first choice. If thinking about a hybrid... look at the AT Pro. I've been reading great things about the unit.

jerseycapelocal
09-14-2011, 07:42 AM
Well, after much research on my area's beaches I decided to get two different machines. One for land and dry sand and the other for wet sand and wading and or diving........and the winner is: Minelab Excal for the water machine. I just ordered a new one and am expecting it today or tommorow. NE Detectors worked out a great deal with some realistic useable extras, very nice folks too..... I am goning to get a dry land machine maybe in the late winter early spring, which I am still leaning towards a E Trac. But for now I am going with the Excal since most of my journeys take me onto the beach anyway and I do have my ACE 350 in the meantime........Anyone hunt in the Cape May or Wildwood area on here?

randy
09-14-2011, 05:34 PM
I hunt Wildwood once a year. Good choice getting a water machine. I'm always nervous using the E-Trac near the water -- one mistake or one rogue wave and a lot of money goes down the hole.