PDA

View Full Version : Back in the woods to redeem myself

BillZ
01-24-2010, 07:11 PM
After the wife showed me up yesterday, I had to make some good finds to save face.
This morning we went to our usual woods. I told the wife that I wanted to try a spot that we have avoided so far because the undergrowth is very thick. This was the best time of year to hit this area as it is thick with tall grass and a thick bush that my wife says is called Kudzu. The recent big snow had smashed the grass down, making it easier to get the coil close to the ground.

To recap, this woods contains old foundations from a WWII era housing project. It was temporary housing for workers at a nearby airplane factory. In the past year, we have found the bulk of our treasure here and I don't know what we would do without it. And the great part is, it is within walking distance of our home.

After locating remains of a couple of foundations, we set to work. Both of us found a couple of wheaties pretty quickly and the wife found a French 50 centime coin but then the finds came to a halt. I started wandering around the area looking for some more good looking spots. Much of it had been paved parking lot or road so we had to constantly poke our diggers in the dirt to make sure we were over ground and not concrete.

I was starting to get a little discouraged with no finds for about 45 minutes and came upon a foundation that I hadn't hit yet. About 1 foot from the edge, I got a good signal that bounced around the 70's and 80's VDI range at only 1 1/2 inches. I turned over the topsoil with my digger and quickly found a wheat penny. Still had a signal in the hole...found another wheatie...still a signal...up popped a Merc...still a signal...this went on until I had 7 wheaties, the Merc, and a silver Rosie.

Needless to say, I was ready to go again. The wife and I started making regular wheat penny finds and I managed another Rosie and a 1940 nickle. She found a couple of neat pins. One is a Salmon that says Alaska and the other is a Maryland public school pin.

Pics:

My finds:

12 Wheaties, the 1940 nickle and 3 silver dimes, 1935, 1946, 1947
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/BillZBub68/IMG_1461.jpg

The wife's wheaties:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/BillZBub68/IMG_1462.jpg

Wife's other finds:
2 pins, the French coin and a heart locket

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/BillZBub68/IMG_1464.jpg

randy
01-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Nice hunt. Sounds like that site is far from worked out.

coinnut
01-24-2010, 08:08 PM
OK, you redeemed yourself. ;) Looks like you both had a good day. More silver for the silver pile. :yes: That place has been good to you two, and the wheats look like they will clean up nicely.

angellionel
01-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Great hit on the silver and the wheat cents! That French coin is a nice find too. Very good hunt. thumbsup01

bmattioli
01-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Nice hunt, you did very well.. That's a great day in my book..

del
01-24-2010, 08:47 PM
yes Billz we unaminously agreed that you've reclaimed your self respect again ;) lol, great results from that place congrats to you and the wife .

BillZ
01-24-2010, 08:51 PM
yes Billz we unaminously agreed that you've reclaimed your self respect again ;) lol, great results from that place congrats to you and the wife .

Hey, I'm milking that lucky pocket spill for all it's worth! lol

John M
01-25-2010, 05:33 AM
You both had a good looking day.Some nice looking finds and a few different ones.