PDA

View Full Version : Lonnnng HOT Summer coming to an End. Let's Hunt!

Jaybird
09-12-2011, 10:50 PM
I haven't made many posts lately that's because I haven't been out much. I have had time to do some lurkin' and tradin'. I just aquired a Tek. T2 SE for the wife. She was loosing interest when I kept pulling the silver out in front of her with my E-trac. I sold her Garrett AT Pro and Tek. Delta and bought her a T2 SE for our 45th anniversary. I think we finally have the arsonal that I need to move forward.
Sunday was Eureka's yearly (Coinhuna) competition hunt held in an old park in Denver. No, I didn't get first place as the E-trac is not well suited for competition hunting, but I did have fun and came away with 45 silver dimes total. Mostly Roosies. After the hunt I stayed and continued to hunt the Sloans Lake Park and came away with a 1945 Merc. and a 59 Roosie and a silver ring by slowing down and cranking up the sensitivity (29). You can do it if you keep the coil moving and are willing to listen to the music. I have had good luck using the same settings that (angel) has here on American Detectorist. I do lurk alot on forums but I don't think you would enjoy seeing another Mercury or Roosie. I did manage to get back to 1914 Barber in Fort Collins City Park, Jack's (Cybersage's)territoryearlier in the year. I now have a re-sizing programand have learned to use my camera a little better so I promise to try to do better about posting. Thanks for the leadership here on AD jkress, coinnut, del,angel, and Cybersage as well as others too numerous to mention and spell correctly.
Jaybird (Jay)

CyberSage
09-13-2011, 07:34 AM
Well, at least I know there are still great old keepers a few blocks from my house. lol It has been a long summer Jay. Nice to see your post. I have only gotten out about a dozen or so times this year myself. It would be fun to hook up and hunt. I am ready. You name the place. Those T2 are really light weight and balanced. Should be a good one.

Jack

Tony Two-Cent
09-14-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm with you all the way! It was sooooo hot and dry here this summer. I'm ready for prime detecting weather!

Personally, I would love to see your finds even if it is only Mercs and Rosies!

Happy hunting to you and your wife!

Jason in Enid
09-15-2011, 07:49 AM
The temps are much better, but I still have to wait until we get a significant amount of rain. The ground here is so hard and dry that it would take a hammer and chisel to get to targets. I'm just hoping we get the moisture before snow.

Jaybird
09-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the kind words, Tony Two-cent :yes:. And Jack, I just had to rub it oin a little :tongue:. You're right. We need to get out somewhere soon. W leave for the Oregon Coast for a few days on Friday 16th. You see, i've had these sand scoops for several years and they have never been used. Seems like a good excuse lol.
Jason, I know what you mean, We attended a seeded hunt down in Tulsa in the 80's. It was in a field and they had to take a wood brace an bit an drill the coins into the ground it was so hard. It was over 100 the day of the hunt. We road on a haywagon to the hunt field an lost 2 people from heat exertion in the hunt. We havent been back since in July anyhow. Hang in there it's almost prime huntin' time
HH
Jaybird

MartinL
09-15-2011, 10:58 AM
The temps are much better, but I still have to wait until we get a significant amount of rain. The ground here is so hard and dry that it would take a hammer and chisel to get to targets. I'm just hoping we get the moisture before snow.

Yea, and the soil just crumbles to malto meal and looks terrible even at it's best after replacement. I'd be spoiled if I hunted some of the places you see in videos where thay cut a plug like slicing bread. It will take Oregon rainfall for months to get Texas dirt like that :-( martin

russellt
09-24-2011, 05:07 PM
agreed . temps are coming down in GA and we have had a little rain in the past week .. i work on telephons so i am outside alot most of the time and when i get off work i just want to sit in the AC . when its 87 degrees by 10 in the morning it seems like its a chore rather than an enjoyable hobby to go hunting when there is 80% humidtity on top of those kinds of temps ... im ready . i have used these hot months to line up some permission hunts when the weather is right which is now :cool: