PDA

View Full Version : insanity

hockeyguy
09-14-2011, 07:27 PM
...keep doing the same thing over and over...that's how I roll. All the local spots are done, over; devoid of many deep coins. So why do I constantly head back there....'cause they are close and I need to get out.

I haven't been out much this summer, so this week I went out with Catskill Comics and found 2 rosies in a virgin area of the park. Today I went with a friend to a NYC park. Had my permit (thank golly..they're serious about this stuff there) and my hand digger.

The rules are restrictive. If you read the area where you can hunt in some parks, it eliminates most, leaving basically no where you can hunt. Can't hunt on manicured lawn, not w/i 50 of a ballfield, soccerfield or badmitten square (jk). Can't hunt w/i 50 of the tree line OR in the woods. What does this leave? A small patch of grass too tall, forming a 200' x 200' section in the middle of 1000 acres! Oh, the Cricket field was unofficially a field, so this was permitted too.

Within 20 minutes of arrival, we got moved out of an area , shushed along and told to go to a specific area. THe 'unmanicured lawn area stunk but it gave up a merc for me, a junk ring and some wheats.

It was hot, real hot. I was sweating heavily and uncomfortable. After several hours we moved along and I left my pal somewhere in a questionable section of the park. Can you distinguish between manicured and unmanicured grass?

I went for a drink during which time my pal had found another 4 silvers including 2 barber q's :cheering:. (For some reason, this coin still eludes me. :hammer: :hammer:. I dropped a glove and didn't want to hang there 'cause I hate getting asked to leave. An hour or so later and he was still there so I finally joined him.

There were now armies of high schoolers running the track nearby and this urban hunt became a bit distracting. Hey, the Bronx aint my hood, let's face it!

Anyway within 2 minitues, I had a deep, stand alone rosie and in another 10 minutes I had a washington next to a piece of garbage. A Solid 00 28 (for us digital guys); this is one of my fav ferrous cond combos! |:confused:)

I dug some clad and 8 wheaties. I sure wish i had the gumption to hang in that area previously, but I didn't. This guy is hardcore. We got thrown out of a historic park oneday. It was obvious we shouldn't be there but it was public and had no signs discouraging the hobby. A dude came up to me and said they'll arrest you and take your machine
but that didn't stop us. Eventually my guide went to the office and someone said it was ok, but the park super drove across the lawn in his truck to tell me to get the heck outta there.

Anyway, he ended up with 2 barber q's, a dateless SLQ, 7 mercs and 20 wheats. He kicks my butt every single time.

After 2 years with my SE, I still struggle listening to things I should ignore. It took me at least 3 hours to stop listening to the hi aluminum tones that give a 00 07 sound (the conduct numbers vary). THey all sound like 00 29 to me (the clad quarters I must dig...actually this sounds nearly the same as the 00 27 and 00 28! ). I still can't distinguish depth by tone, I generally look at the readout for everything but the low tones. Wish I could control these element of my hunting, but have yet to master any of this. Perhaps some of you are in the same boat or have moved past this stage. I'd sure like to learn to do this as it would increase my productivity tremendously.
<:
Ok thanks for listening....

HH

Aaron

Tony Two-Cent
09-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Very interesting read, thanks for sharing. Hunting in the big city would be a whole new experience for this small town boy from the midwest. It looks like you held your own though! Can't complain about 5 silvers, that's a very respectable hunt in my book!

I'd stay away from that Catskill Comics guy though, he's bad news. Ha ha, just kidding. Scott is the only guy in this forum I know, so I have to give him grief. :grin:

z118
09-14-2011, 08:46 PM
...keep doing the same thing over and over...that's how I roll. All the local spots are done, over; devoid of many deep coins. So why do I constantly head back there....'cause they are close and I need to get out.

This is me exactly. I have hunted all my local spots silly. They still give up sparse targets, but not enough to keep the hobby as exciting as I'd like. I was lucky to stumble into one new sweet spot this summer, but it's gone now and I find myself going back and forth to the same sites I've hit a hundred times before - because they're close and I'm a creature of habit I guess.

Great post though... I'd take those silver digs anyway. Congrats!

Viking
09-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Great post indeed! I can relate to it. It's the ever present battle of finding spots that could be productive AND are legal to hunt. Denver has strict rules against detecting as well. The public spots that are left in the 'burbs have been hit hard (clad is everywhere, but silvers are elusive) and the sites you can maaaaybe be on legally makes you keep your head on a swivel for the authorities. Might as well stay in if that's the best option, in my opinion.

There is no better hunt than a hunt with permission, particularly at a virgin site. The trouble is that they don't come along very often, at least on public land...

JTGOLD
09-14-2011, 09:54 PM
thats a nice handfull of silver,wtg.

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-15-2011, 05:21 AM
I HATE RULES! nice hunt!

aloldstuff
09-15-2011, 07:10 AM
Whats the saying question authority. Nice hunting and congrats on a pile of silvers.

Cheap Thrills
09-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Here's #931 for you hockeyguy :perfect10: thumbsup01 thumbsup01 You did great in spite of the limitations you were under . I'm like you ,when it comes to rules I'd rather be safe than sorry .I enjoyed reading this post of yours
It seems we have both shared similar situations in hunting and with our SE's . Because my spots are pretty hunted out I'll dig a signal knowing it's crap just magically hoping it will turn out to be something good unfortunately it remains crap . lol

I hope you find some hassle free sites with some good coinage in them . thumbsup01 I got out to one of my tired old sites today for a short hunt but unfortunately all I got today was tired . lol

:groovy:

russellt
09-15-2011, 08:41 PM
i think these rules are propagated in the general interest of revenue generation .. if they can give you a ticket for violating some rule . they get money. so they can redistibute it in the way they see fit . sorry about the hassle but looks like you did very well in the face of adversity

jkress
09-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Bummer about the restrictions HG. They are tough. crying01

You certainly made some nice finds though. Lots of great keepers. :clapping:

From my experience... I'd say try to get away from using the Digital Mode. There is so much more information you can obtain from a target by listening to the tones and watching the cursor movement in Smartfind. :yes: Valuable information to determine if the target is a coin or not. From your description, the places you hunt would definitely benefit from using the Smartfind Screen as opposed to the Digital Screen. Try it out sometime.

Most of the silver coins I found this year would not have id'd anywhere close to the 'text book' numbers of the Digital Mode.

Just my thoughts. :dontknow: But you definitely grabbed some nice keepers here. :happydance01:

Mudder
09-16-2011, 05:43 AM
You did well, considering all the restrictions that you have to face just to dig a little hole. I'm surprised by the amount of silver that you did turn up. WTG. thumbsup01