PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Lion And Night Hunts

MartinL
09-16-2011, 07:01 AM
Seems we have a mountain lion in my area. I sensed something late one night(3-4am) when I was metal detecting my own yard, before even hearing anything about a possible mountain lion at all, and scooted to the house. My neighbor told me today that there is a mountain lion around, which is why they keep the houses up front. Whatever it was I felt and saw in a flash in the shadows that wee hour of the morning wasn't small but fast. I didn't know that mountain lions even existed outside the hill country, much less just 30 miles north of Dallas. I'll likely not wander around in the dark at those hours for a while. Would a mountain lion jump on a human, like a lone metal detector on his knees. This is new stuff for me to worry about. Cyotes never worried me, but a MOUNTAIN LION:huh: Thanks, martin

tanacat
09-16-2011, 08:55 AM
Ooooo :-\ that's scary... having to check your back constantly. I remember seeing a thread a while back about Mtn Lions up in New England.

I think all I have to worry about here is druggies in the bad neighborhoods/parks coming to steal my detector lol

Or the squirrels and coons coming to steal my sack lunch rofl

aloldstuff
09-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Martin, I understand that mountain lions attack in the day also. I have read or seen stories of joggers being attacked in Calif. Be careful.

MartinL
09-16-2011, 10:18 AM
Martin, I understand that mountain lions attack in the day also. I have read or seen stories of joggers being attacked in Calif. Be careful.

I worried about that a little after remembering that one of the horses next door went balistic in the daylight 2 days ago, whinnying and running around until the other 4 followed it away from their current spot. First time I seen'em act that way. I also read where someone down around Ft. Worth saw a cub, so there is a population growing. Wish they'd be happy eating a cyote or two. I've also noticed that there aren't as many armadillas and other animals around, but I figured it was due to the drought. I don't imagine that the V3I nor the Lesche will fend one off for long either :-( Thanks for the heads up on the daylight issue.

Anyone from Texas know if the season is always open on mountain lions, or is that a problem for busting a cap at one, even with city ordinances against firearms? martin

firstring
09-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Don't take the tiger by the tail on this one. Here in California, people have been attacked by mountain lions. Take it seriously and beware. Those critters, when hungry or provoked will go after you, your pets, and kids. Call in the big boys (Fish and Game or animal control) to help you out. Good luck

wingmaster
09-16-2011, 02:42 PM
They usually pick targets carefully, if they think there's even a chance that they could get hurt they won't even consider attacking, a broken leg usually means death to a wild animal like that. One thing I wouldn't do is run that just kicks in the natural instinct like the little bunny running for his life and alot of times they will attack something running even if their not going to eat it. This is why alot of people running and people on bikes get attacked, they think their trying to run and get away kicking in the natural instinct to attack before the prey gets away. I would however keep aware of whats going on around me and if I seen one I wouldn't run for sure, but make sure they know I'm aware of them as well. They do like the suprise factor and rely on surprise for success, though it would be nice to know what the beeping of a detector sounds like to them. Since your in Texas carry a side arm with you and be careful and HH.

Jeff (or)
09-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Three weeks ago a cougar was seen here in town about 6:15am. What amazes me is the cougar had to go through a fair amount of the town and cross Hiway 101 to be where it was sighted.

MartinL
09-21-2011, 05:24 PM
I surely dont help the situation much by how I allow my back acreage to be like a jungle. If was a big cat looking for food and water, where better than in-between one horse pen/barn with 4 mini shelties, and another horse facility with 4 full sized horses on the north side onlt 200 feet away. This cat has mostly has not even been here anyway, but it is a cool place for one IMO. I'll keep looking for tracks if we ever get enough rain, and also the actual cat when I get out and about. The creepy feelings from that one night hasn't been forgotten. I have some old freezer meat I won't eat. Maybe I should hang it form a limb or something to see if it disappears. Might be fun, could prodice a track also. martin