PDA

View Full Version : Silver Half Dollar, CW Bullet? and more

jkress
09-16-2011, 06:49 PM
This morning Ron (Rgorman) and I headed back to a park we hunted last week. Turned out to be a very fun morning. :happydance01:

Recovered three nice silver coins along with a couple of wheat cents.
http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-152.jpg

Also managed to find something very similar to what many of you Civil War hunters find. I really don't know
much about these or how long they were used past the Civil War. The bullet is holed at the bottom.
Although I can't imagine someone wearing this chunk of lead as a necklace... but I suppose anything is possible.
Nonetheless, it is a very, very exciting find for me.
http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-153.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectoristMisc/pictures/picture-39.jpg

It is about 1 inch long and 5/8 wide at the base. The patina/oxidation looks correct to be of the time period.
The town park where I found it certainly dates back to before the Civil War.
http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectoristMisc/pictures/picture-40.jpg

I just can't imagine being struck by one of these. :stretcher:

Best of luck this weekend folks. thumbsup01

rsarge1
09-16-2011, 06:52 PM
very nice hunt, nice silvers, yep it looks as though it was worn around someones neck wtg :clapping: :clapping:

JTGOLD
09-16-2011, 08:08 PM
very nice half,quarter and dime,other Items are neat too,very good hunt,wtg.

dave in iowa
09-16-2011, 08:24 PM
great hunt Joe , i have a few of those bullets , very heavy How did Ron do ?

firstring
09-16-2011, 08:38 PM
Great recoveries. Very good looking silver, nice bullet. Had some fun digging those I bet.

Tony Two-Cent
09-16-2011, 08:41 PM
Great finds, especially the Walking Liberty Half! Awesome! |:confused:)

I agree that the bullet was probably worn as a necklace. I can't imagine what else the holes would be for.

Congrats on the successful hunt! :clapping:

milco
09-16-2011, 09:15 PM
WTG on a great hunt! Good luck this weekend!

Ill Digger
09-16-2011, 09:28 PM
:shocked04: Dang dude!! Your like a machine!! A silver seeking machine!!
A machine with a BIG appetite for the shiny stuff!! :drool:
Sweet hunt Joe!!
Congrats!! :grin:
Just a guess but the bullet could've been holed to be used as a fishing sinker :dontknow: :thinkingabout: Or maybe a plumb bob :dontknow: Who knows :rolleyes: lol
All I know is it's old. And it's cool! :cool: lol

del
09-16-2011, 10:22 PM
:loveit: :loveit: sweet sized silver Joe :smitten: :smitten: don't see many 35's and that merc is a sharp one :beerbuddy:

jkress
09-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks guys.

yep it looks as though it was worn around someones neck wtg :clapping: :clapping:

Kind of what I thought... but boy I hate to get hit in the chest with that thing dangling down. lol

very nice half,quarter and dime,other Items are neat too,very good hunt,wtg.

Thank you JT.

great hunt Joe , i have a few of those bullets , very heavy How did Ron do ?

Thanks Dave. Ron didn't get a silver on this hunt, but found some good targets to dig.

Had some fun digging those I bet.

It was fun for sure. The half was hiding very shallow in a heavy iron area... only 4-5 inches down.

Congrats on the successful hunt! :clapping:

Thanks a bunch Tony. :) It was one of those memorable ones.

WTG on a great hunt! Good luck this weekend!

Thank you Darren. I have a full photo schedule tomorrow, but Sunday morning I'll be looking for the shiny stuff.

Just a guess but the bullet could've been holed to be used as a fishing sinker :dontknow: :thinkingabout:

Noooooo... someone better not have used such an old bullet to keep a worm on the river bottom. lol
Thanks for the kind words Tim.

:loveit: :loveit: sweet sized silver Joe :smitten: :smitten: don't see many 35's and that merc is a sharp one :beerbuddy:

The Merc is in very nice shape. Lots of detail left in her. :smitten:

Cheap Thrills
09-16-2011, 11:57 PM
Man you are kicking some serious butt lately , awesome coins and great pictures . :perfect10: thumbsup01 thumbsup01

tanacat
09-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Great hunting Joe! :clapping: I dug a CW bullet w/ 2 holes just like that. I thought prob wore around neck... or had a leather strip and used as a plug for end of rifle...

angellionel
09-17-2011, 07:18 PM
Sweet large silver Joe! :loveit: I bet she sang sweetly in your ears. lol

That bullet looks menacing. I would hate to be the target of such a brute. :shocked04:stretcher:

Nice hunt! thumbsup01

jkress
09-17-2011, 09:45 PM
Man you are kicking some serious butt lately , awesome coins and great pictures . :perfect10: thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Thanks Sheik. I've been having some extraordinary luck this past month or so. :dontknow: I'll enjoy it while it lasts,
cause sooner or later I am due for a few of the 1 wheat cent only hunts.

Great hunting Joe! :clapping: I dug a CW bullet w/ 2 holes just like that. I thought prob wore around neck... or had a leather strip and used as a plug for end of rifle...

Thank you Tana. Interesting theory on the holed bullet. :yes: I like it.

I bet she sang sweetly in your ears. lol

That bullet looks menacing. I would hate to be the target of such a brute. :shocked04:stretcher:

The cursor was definitely pegged in the top right. I really suspected a clad quarter since it was just on the edge of being deep enough to be silver.
Popped the plug and there she sat sparkling in the hole not more than 5 inches down.

Yes... I'd never want to be on the receiving end of this piece of lead.

aloldstuff
09-19-2011, 07:52 AM
Excellent recoveries. Congrats on the silvers

odave
09-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Beautiful finds Joe !! Awesome Pic's too :perfect10:

Epi-hunter
09-19-2011, 10:42 AM
I missed this thread before, Joe. Beautiful hunt! :perfect10: :perfect10: You had to have been very happy at the end of that day! :clapping: |:confused:)

Civil War Nut
10-01-2011, 01:49 AM
This morning Ron (Rgorman) and I headed back to a park we hunted last week. Turned out to be a very fun morning. :happydance01:

Recovered three nice silver coins along with a couple of wheat cents.
http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-152.jpg

Also managed to find something very similar to what many of you Civil War hunters find. I really don't know
much about these or how long they were used past the Civil War. The bullet is holed at the bottom.
Although I can't imagine someone wearing this chunk of lead as a necklace... but I suppose anything is possible.
Nonetheless, it is a very, very exciting find for me.
http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-153.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectoristMisc/pictures/picture-39.jpg

It is about 1 inch long and 5/8 wide at the base. The patina/oxidation looks correct to be of the time period.
The town park where I found it certainly dates back to before the Civil War.
http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectoristMisc/pictures/picture-40.jpg

I just can't imagine being struck by one of these. :stretcher:

Best of luck this weekend folks. thumbsup01
Hidy j . If I knew what part of the State you found it might help a little . It should be a .69 cal. But the only two in my books one , the .69 cal . British sea servic . But the nose is not the same . The other is the .69 cal . prussian that looks a little like it . It is more than likely C.W. because of the oxidation on the inside of the hole . You must have found it in a park or wooded place or next to water . those tend not to grt as white as one found in open fields . The way the back is rounded in deep I would say CSA . There was so meany differnt kinds I dont thank they have ever came up with all they used . And I would say it was holded for a good reason , maybe got hit with it . I have a pice of lead that came out of some one , they put it in another pice of lead and carred it in there pocket for a long time . And if you would heate to get hit by that one , I will put a pitc. of a .71 cal. setting beside of a .69 cal. I have found one . They are hard to find . I will also put a pitc. of just a few of the bullets that came from Shilon and thoses are not close to all the differnt kinds . I hope it is ok to put these pitc. on here like this . if not I am sorry Good luck in all .

Civil War Nut
10-01-2011, 01:59 AM
Hidy j. I beleave I just found it . If you can pull it up a little , look at # 13 , it is a .69 cal. with two rings like yours , and the nose is the same .... Good luck , your friend in N .W . Tn.

Evan/tn
10-01-2011, 07:30 AM
Those are some nice looking coins what a great hunt! the bullet looks civil war era to me thumbsup01

jkress
10-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Hidy j . If I knew what part of the State you found it might help a little . It should be a .69 cal. But the only two in my books one , the .69 cal . British sea servic . But the nose is not the same . The other is the .69 cal . prussian that looks a little like it . It is more than likely C.W. because of the oxidation on the inside of the hole . You must have found it in a park or wooded place or next to water . those tend not to grt as white as one found in open fields . The way the back is rounded in deep I would say CSA . There was so meany differnt kinds I dont thank they have ever came up with all they used . And I would say it was holded for a good reason , maybe got hit with it . I have a pice of lead that came out of some one , they put it in another pice of lead and carred it in there pocket for a long time . And if you would heate to get hit by that one , I will put a pitc. of a .71 cal. setting beside of a .69 cal. I have found one . They are hard to find . I will also put a pitc. of just a few of the bullets that came from Shilon and thoses are not close to all the differnt kinds . I hope it is ok to put these pitc. on here like this . if not I am sorry Good luck in all .

Wow... thank you so much for the information. It was found around the East-Central side of Iowa. I'm sure the bullet traveled with the person who was originally wearing it and then dropped in the park. I hadn't realized there are so many types of these bullets.
I really appreciate your input and enjoyed the pictures. :yes: Thanks again.

CyberSage
10-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Joe,
Man you are getting into the good stuff. Very nice hunt! Thanks for sharing.

Jack

Mudder
10-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Very very nice coins, and the CW bullet is a great find. Take my word for it you would never want to be hit with one of these things. Congrats on a great hunt. :perfect10: :perfect10:

pulltabsteve
10-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Great hunt Joe!!! Love the sweet silver. That Merc is in spectacular shape! Keep it up buddy |:cheering: