PDA

View Full Version : Out of the surf and into the turf.

Jason in Enid
09-17-2011, 07:31 PM
After a long, scorching hot and dry summer we have finally started to get some rain. I got out for a couple hours several times this week for some turf pirating.

While my goal is always for nice old silver coins, I'm not turning away any form of precious metal. I was able to pull several Wheaties, a Buffalo nickel, and half of a gold locket from a sidewalk tearout. From a park and practice field I pulled the silver rings and silver whatzit. I don't know what it is, but it's 8 grams of unmarked silver. I think that it came from a musical instrument since the HS band practices here.

I believe the stone in the ring is a ruby. It is faceted even on the bottom so I don't think its cheap paste.

I also found a nice pile of clad, but no silver coins yet.

dave in iowa
09-17-2011, 07:53 PM
nice rings there

Jason in Enid
09-17-2011, 08:20 PM
Thank you.

Someone helped me identify my mystery item. It looks like the crown to a flute. I sanded an edge to see if it was plated and all I saw was more silver. I'm suprised it's not stamped.

JTGOLD
09-17-2011, 08:48 PM
very nice rings and finds,wtg.

Cheap Thrills
09-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Congrats on your rings and your other finds . thumbsup01 thumbsup01

jkress
09-17-2011, 10:45 PM
Very sharp looking rings here. :clapping:
Glad to see you getting back out there again Jason.
Best of luck on your next hunt.

Epi-hunter
09-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Hey Jason, saw this post on the other forum. I do too think that the stone is a ruby. Very nice!!! I hope to get in the water one day too.

aloldstuff
09-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Gold, Ruby, silver rings, very nice. The silver coins will come. Congrats on all your finds

Mudder
09-18-2011, 09:34 PM
Its all silver and nice to find. I believe your right about the ruby. Looking at the style of the ring and it is silver why would they use a fake. :clapping: :clapping: