PDA

View Full Version : Tick Magnet, Not Anymore.

fsa46
09-18-2011, 07:20 AM
Between MDing and hunting I spend a lot of time in the woods and always seem to come home covered in ticks.....not anymore.

While doing some early MDing this season I couldn't deal with all the mosquitos so I did a search on mosquito repellent and decided to try the Deep Woods Off .

Although the label did say it also repelled ticks, I didn't have the confidence that it would in fact do so and wasn't ready to spray my entire body to repell the ticks.

Well, it not only repelled the mosquitos but I was pleasantly surprised to find I have not had a single tick on me since using this product.

When I get to the location, I spray my hat, around my wrists and around my lower legs/ankles. I also spray my hand and rub it on the back of my neck. If the mosquitos are bad, I rub it on my face, ( careful not to get it in your eyes ) and it does the trick.

If you were like me and reluctant to get out because of the biting insects, give it a try, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

aloldstuff
09-18-2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks for this post. I will definately give it a try.

Dimeman
09-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Our Texas skeeters that are HUGE, think Deep Woods Off is candy, and when they land on you they are drilling for oil !!!!!!!!!!!! :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04:

Sal66
09-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Hey! Del and another guy we use to detect with gave me the name Tick Magnet or was it Tick Master . I can't remember. Del said his trick was to wear a Tick repellant one piece jump suit outfit. It's got military colors and is very tight to the skin. I'll have to try it out if I can dind one, Probably at Dick's Dept. Store. The other thing is to not shower in the morning and don't use any deoderant or cologne smelling sprays. I thing that's what attracts them. Give that a Try also. Don't forget to wear gloves, long sleeves and have your socks above your pant legs. Hope this helps everyone out.

OxShoeDrew
09-21-2011, 06:08 PM
I was out every day this summer and not one tick, due to &quot:grin:eep Woods Off. <:

del
09-22-2011, 04:46 AM
George and i saw some ticks very early this spring here in Connecticut but they have been almost non-existent since that time ( for some unknown reason) . so Frank it may not be the deep woods off and could be some cycle or die off right now . this fall i bet they make a come back. Coinnut and i do wear protective clothes to keep them off our skin and we also use diferent bugsprays too. the out fit i wear is called &quot:beerbuddy:ugskinz made by cabelas .

heres a link to the shirt http://www.cabelas.com/mens-bug-proof-clothing-cabelas-bug-skinz-8482-bugproof-mock-t-2.shtml

there is also a pants that are sold separately but i recommend them , we usually spray either deep woods off or Sawyer insect repellent on our clothes as it has permetherin in it and kills the ticks if they crawl on it. like Sal said lymes disease is a serious thing and because of that fact i have been religeously wearing this outfit under my usual jeans and shirts for about 4 or 5 years now and haven't even seen a tick on my skin.

Dan

deltacornbread
09-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Can't remember name of stuff, but if you go to a sporting goods store and look where the Off is, you find a spray for your clothing. I spent four nights sleeping on the ground in Missouri last August and did not get a tick one. Or chigger. and they were there in numbers.
Be sure and read instructions. FOR CLOTHING ONLY! Any of the repellants with DEET will work on skin. If you have never used any before, try on a small area of skin first. Some people will have a reaction to the DEET.

Sal66
09-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Dan, That's very good news However, When we go out sometime this fall we may see an increase because I am after all the TICK MASTER. They seem to like me better than you and GEORGE. >{
I think one reason is because I use to take a shower before going out with you and maybe the deoderant or body spray attracts them. They say it's because of body heat but it may also be the former reason. I will definitely buy that Bug outfit and see what happens. Maybe we can try it out this weekend if youtr not too busy. I haven't been out once this year and it's kind of depressing. I will endure the next day pain to go out at least a few tomes this year.
I have been busy Advocating the Documentary called Under Our Skin which covers a great amount of info on Lyme Disease and shows several people who have been infected. If you have Netflix it is on there.

russellt
09-24-2011, 04:48 PM
:peace: the term deep woods off was used i believe because the term tick , chigger , mosquito replellant would have used up to much space on the can .. but it works great . for those of you in the deep south where mosquitos could very well be the state bird , my advice to you is try it , you'll like it :->

Spiderwort
09-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Ticks are attracted to heat and carbon dioxide. So, wear an ice suit and hold your breath when you step outside. And if you have to shower every morning, use Deep Woods Off body wash.