PDA

View Full Version : 2 center

hockeyguy
09-18-2011, 07:40 PM
Its easy to forget the fundamentals of things and MDing is no differnt, clean your coil cover and such. After my last post, someone said something that I had forgotten. He knew I was running ferrous sounds as I have been ever since I read a post 2 years ago. I liked it, so I never went back. While I realize it is a challenge, it also hobbles progress, so I made a change to conductive sounds.

Yup, it took some gettin used to , but I do like it. The problem with aluminum is gone and the coins really stick out like a sore thumb. I still depend on the depth gauge to hopefully determine coin age, but I'll try some shallower coins to get a grip on the site 1st.

So, I went out with a friend yesterday to 2 very large parks that we have been to before...5 hours later and nothing at all. THe trip is ~ 1 hour from home as well. Today I got out about 4:15 and went to a local school that I've been to as well. After 2 hours and 1 wheat, I left and went to another park.I only had 45 minutes of daylight left, so to work I went. i heard a nice sound, dug down and pulled a nail. Heard another lodged between a clad penny and garbage, down deep, I ran the digger and loosened the dirt in the hole several times. I was beginning to think there was nothing there as the sound had disappeared, however, the last time I heard the tone as I waved a handful of dirt in front of the coil. Out came the 1902 barber dime!.

A few minutes later and a few similar signals since, I heard another..Again near garbage and this signal too would not pinpoint.I was having trouble determining exactly where to dig, however, after about 3 minutes I made the decision. Now it's pretty dark. Again I loosened the soils several times and the signal was gone. Kept going and in my hand I had an unusually sized coin. I thought 2 cents but thought, hey, maybe it's something else. Got back to the car and mad the ID affirmative. 1864 and my 3rd one! Such a pretty coin.

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectoristMisc/pictures/picture-41.jpg

Anyway, I am glad that someone replied to my post.....I can now revisit some old, local sites again!

HH Aaron

JTGOLD
09-18-2011, 08:01 PM
very nice finds,wtg.

jkress
09-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Nice coins. Love the Barber and especially the 2 Cent piece. :smitten: It is in very nice shape.
Looks like you are on a roll now. Go get 'em. :clapping:
Congrats on these beauties.

Also, any chance we could see a bigger picture of the 2 Cent piece? I'd love to see more of the details. thumbsup01 Thank you.

Tony Two-Cent
09-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Great post and two very cool finds! I love the two-cent piece! I will probably never find one in my lifetime, that's why I enjoy seeing when others find them so much.

When I bought my E-trac earlier this year I read everything I possibly could on all of the forums about the different settings. I decided that conductive was best for the type of hunting I do and I've never hunted in ferrous mode. I suppose I should try it sometime just to make sure I'm not missing something.

Mudder
09-18-2011, 09:24 PM
Great post and I understand your pain. I dug up about .37 cents in clad today, and about six pounds of trash. Wonderful coins congratulations. thumbsup01

Cheap Thrills
09-18-2011, 10:24 PM
Very nice coins !! :perfect10:

:groovy:

Ill Digger
09-18-2011, 11:36 PM
:shocked04: A Barber and a 2 center?! Heck yeah I'll post to that!! :beerbuddy: :clapping: thumbsup01 lol
I'm with Tony on this one again. Im starting to wonder if I'll ever be lucky enough to find a 2 center here in Illinois? :confused: :crying02:
Nice huntin' Aaron thumbsup01
Congrats :grin:

Myownwings
09-19-2011, 12:40 AM
That 2 cent coin is sweet. Very nice find. Don't discount 2TF or Multi. They both have their uses and I have my Etrac set up to easily switch between them and I often do. I will admit though that certain nails fool me in both.

randy
09-19-2011, 07:43 AM
Two-center is beautiful, WTG.

aloldstuff
09-19-2011, 07:45 AM
Nice hunting. Those 2 centers are really beautiful coins. Congrats

tanacat
09-19-2011, 07:47 AM
:clapping: Wtg Aaron- nice details of your hunt :yes: Good luck w/re-visiting those old parks!

BOWSER
09-19-2011, 09:10 PM
thumbsup01 thumbsup01

jkress
09-19-2011, 11:12 PM
:clapping: Thanks for the close up. Now I can admire it to the fullest. :smitten:

switch
10-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Nice stuff!

del
10-04-2011, 06:19 AM
hey Aaron great looking two center :smitten: :smitten: they are a beautiful coin and they should be after all they're the first coin to have the motto In God We Trust congrats on it and the barber sir . it good to see you detecting and posting again .

Dan