PDA

View Full Version : 16th century button

Mrspud67
09-19-2011, 08:10 AM
[attachimg=3]hi there just a couple of finds from last couple of weeks first one is a 16th century button found just outside linlithgow second one is a uknown peice of jewelery or a badge off a sword or dagger sheath which is solid silver with the words mona on it .
cheers see what you think

tanacat
09-19-2011, 08:14 AM
Very neat finds! :clapping: Does the button have back mark to identify it or are they common knowledge? It's a little blurry, what does it say on it? I love old buttons... I've found quite a few from 1700's, so cool to be able to date them.

Mrspud67
09-19-2011, 08:22 AM
hi there unreadable on the back thought too be one of the family coats of arms of the malitia who made camp at burghmuir on the way too the battle of falkirk where braveheart mell gibson sorry william wallace was defeated by the english king edward longshanks. was found just outside linlithgow the birthplace of mary queen of scots. the camp could have been linked too colonel tam dalyell who was a royalist loyal too the english crown. sorry about the photo,s just new too uploading pics to the forum.
cheers and happy hunting

tanacat
09-19-2011, 08:27 AM
I love that movie Braveheart- must've seen it 10 times :yes: That second pic looks better thanks! I know how it is, trying to get a clear shot. I've found that natural lighting helps with my coins.

OxShoeDrew
09-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Very impressive, looks in good shape for its age, unlike me. :)

Mrspud67
09-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the comments I am trying get out tonight for some time on a new site which was once the site of a roman villa or settlement according too some old os maps also here is a wee photo of a 1797 penny known as a cartwheel penny found outside linlithgow on pasture land .
Cheers and happy hunting

aloldstuff
09-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Very nice finds. Glad to see ya posting, really love those ancient finds. Congrats and keep digging

randy
09-19-2011, 07:09 PM
That three-legged motif on the second piece comes from one of 2 places, Isle of Man (an island between Britain and Ireland), and Sicily, IIRC. There's been some speculation as to why two islands so far apart from each other would share such a distinctive motif. I can't comment on that one way or the other, but perhaps this will help in jump starting research on that interesting piece. Nice finds in any case.

Sal66
10-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Yea great find . I wish I knew you were from Scotland before I thought you meant 1600's.

Does anyone know if any coins from the 1500's have been found on land? The pine trees are 1600's, right. There is still alot of debate of who was here first. The thing is when did coins become accepted in comparison to I'll trade you 8 Cows for your daughter thing.( LOL ) Bartering was the only way to do business in the 1400's and 1500's here, No?
I'm sure the Indians weren't even interested in silver or gold until they found out how much we were. I'll have to ask a friend some more about the trading in the 1500's or whenever coins were used here unless some of our members can help me. I was never good with or interested in history until I started Detecting. Detecting is more about history for me and I hope it is for many of you. That's what keeps me interested, not the value, Unless its enough to retire on. Like a stash Of Higley Coppers or Shillings.

Mrspud67
10-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Hi sal we have coinage going back too about 66 ad I myself have dug coin,s too 1500 ad I will try and put some pictures up soon with some of them ,roman broaches and coin,s are not that rare a find.
Cheers greig