PDA

View Full Version : EMI And Soil Moisture

MartinL
09-22-2011, 12:55 PM
Texas has been a dust bowl nearly, and I have optimized my detector with super dry soil. We've recently has rain over the last week, and it seems that I get more falsing, more ghost beeps and such than I am used to. Would the new moisture content aid EMI?

FYI I am running a 10&quot:grin:2 on a Whites V3i, and I did find that it needed tuning down in the summer here around the house and close to the power lines. Lots of tweaks later, I ended up running a tad hot at gain of 7, and running Boost, but not that noisy considering the D2 is kown to attract EMI. Thoughts? It's easy enough to power less. I have dug new targets(junk) than previously when dealing with the dry soil of the summer, so that's a plus in itself.

So regardless of this being a V3i or running a D2 coil, would moisture accentuate EMI when using any detector? Prolly a stupid question. tia. Martin

Martin

BOWSER
09-22-2011, 01:07 PM
i would think it would be like throwing a toaster in the bathtub whilst takin a bath :->

Tony Two-Cent
09-22-2011, 01:19 PM
I have read that moist soil increases falsing from rusty iron. Maybe that's what is causing your ghost beeps.

del
09-22-2011, 07:45 PM
hey Martin my experiences with moisture is this . the wetter the ground the better everything sounds , even the junk ( iron bits ) start to sound better on machines . deep iron when in dry gound might respond as a null or very choppy or broken junk signal can be a high pitch false , an iffy target or even a low repeatable signal when the ground is moist or wet. i have experienced alot of falsing when the the ground is very moist but the grass or leaves themselves are soaking wet and the swinging coil is just making contact with them .

Dan