PDA

View Full Version : Getting the most out of your SunRay probe.

Lowjiber
01-26-2010, 12:11 PM
[size=1em]The following is not an advertisement for SunRay probes. I have seven detectors, only four of which are compatible with SunRays. I have one on each.

[size=1em]Not to be confused with a pinpointer, a SunRay is actually a tiny coil (about 1” in diameter) that replaces your search coil with a simple flip of a switch when you’re on your knees recovering a target that you’ve already decided to dig. If you decide to get one, you can simply use it like a regular pinpointer and be happy. However, there are a couple of tips that will shorten your overall recovery time and utilize the full potential of your new detector/probe combination.

[size=1em][Note] In the text below, I’ll be referring to “all-metal” mode and “gain”. All-metal mode is simply engaged with the pinpoint button on an Ace 250, or the trigger pull on an MXT. Gain refers to the “Sensitivity”control on the Ace and the “Gain” knob on the MXT. Other machines may vary in terminology, but the concept remains the same.

[size=1em]Remember, both the display and audio functions of your detector remain available when you engage the probe. If you’re hunting with your detector set at a lower gain setting, the probe will respond accordingly. We’ll see how to capitalize on this below.

[size=1em]“Flipping” shallow (3”) targets has never been easier. We’ve all used our detector to pinpoint a target to within a three-inch diameter and started probing the ground to locate/flip the target. Using a SunRay, you can literally identify the exact spot to flip.

[size=1em]Place the detector beside the target, keeping the display visible as shown in the picture below and turn on the probe using the simple switch on the box. You’re going to control the functions of the detector with your right hand and exactly locate the target with the probe in your left hand. The key to precision is to HOLD THE PROBE VERTICALLY, as shown below.

[size=1em]Now, engage all-metal mode (with the trigger or button), and turn your attention to the headset as you move the probe in an “X” to locate the target. Below the exact spot where the sound is the loudest on both axes of your “X” lies your target.

[size=1em]Here’s a tip that’s often overlooked…

[size=1em]There are many times when the mineralization of the soil forces you to hunt with the gain/sensitivity turned way down to stabilize your detector. For example, it’s not uncommon in certain parts of the country to hunt the Ace 250 at only two “bars” of sensitivity, or the MXT on a gain setting of only 7 (very low). The probe will reach about 3” off the tip with just about any setting. However, a simple increase of the gain in all-metal mode will increase that by at least another inch…very handy and easy to do when you need a little more depth. Just remember to reset your gain when you resume hunting.

[size=1em]The same technique can be very useful even when a target is too deep to “flip”. Knowing the exact center of where you should cut a flap can reduce the its diameter, resulting in ground repair after recover that is much less inclined to be noticeable…always a good thing. It’s not perfect, but larger targets or those elusive silver coins can be “centered” pretty easily with an increased gain and a little practice listening to the faint whisper of the all-metal response in the headset.

[size=1em]I’ve found that it’s often unnecessary to even engage all-metal mode when trying to determine if a target is in my cut flap. Simply wave the probe over the flap and you’ll hear the discrimination signal…just like waving the coil over it, only easier and faster.

[size=1em]Mulch filled tot lots are a piece of cake with a SunRay. Its construction is strong enough to literally push your way down to the target…removing excess chips while the moving the probe back-and-forth over the target. Using the probe, you can get under playground equipment where chips have piled up, but you get too much interference with your standard hunting coil. Getting close to chain-link fences has never been easier. Don’t laugh…those areas are often overlooked by most detectorists because of the proximity to iron.

Have you ever hit a coin spill that's slightly scattered? Multiple coins in a concentrated area can rapidly recovered without even moving. Just use the probe to locate and recover each one…sure makes it easier on tired bones.

coinnut
01-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Hey John, Thanks for that info. I love my Sunray probe. It's the best after market product I have ever bought. It is extremely good at pinpointing non ferrous targets, when they are mixed with iron. It's a must for me when doing cellar holes and people's houses. I never really needed a probe with my White's, but with the E Trac, for me, it's a definite!! :yes:

RickO
01-26-2010, 03:54 PM
Excellent information on a great product. I have one for my DFX (and will work on the V3) and one for my TDI. RickO

Epi-hunter
01-26-2010, 04:36 PM
This is a great post John!

I too have the X-1 probe on my E-Trac and Exp SE, and after permanently borrowing Angel's DFX I put a DX-1 on it too. :) I would be lost without it, particularly for those very very deep targets.

I use it for coins near and on the surface (3 inches and less) too... don't even have to use the machine to pinpoint; just use the probe.

coinnut
01-26-2010, 05:07 PM
I use it for coins near and on the surface (3 inches and less) too... don't even have to use the machine to pinpoint; just use the probe.

Yep, When I find any target I cut a shallow plug. After that it's all probe! lol This is the best way for me to not scratch the target and it's kinda fun too ;) I used to cut a deep plug and took the chance of scratching something good. But now I let the probe do all the work thumbsup01

angellionel
01-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Excellent information, John. The probe has proven to be a must for me when locating deep targets, reducing the chances of nicking them with the trowel.

CyberSage
01-26-2010, 09:38 PM
Great informative post John! Look at all that grass and no snow. I have dreams like that now. :yes:

Jack

Lowjiber
01-27-2010, 06:50 AM
Great informative post John! Look at all that grass and no snow. I have dreams like that now. :yes:

Jack

Thanks Jack! I think it's kind of ironic, since I bought my first SunRay in 2007 because of a video that YOU made. :)

grinsebring
02-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Another great thread John. The inline probe on my dfx is a mega time saver.
I don't think I saw anything about the value of running VCO on the machines that have that function. Man, that really narrows things down. A 3 inch deep coin can be located to within the width of the face of the probe as long as the probe is standing straight up and down.....Gil

handyman
02-15-2010, 05:31 PM
I love my DX-1. I was so glad that it worked on my V-3. If it hadnt I would have had to of bought one rated for the V-3. Idd hunt without a inline pointer and always had in the past,,, but after I got one I WAS SPOILED big time.
Great tips on the inline pinpointer!!!!!

SeabeeRon
02-18-2010, 01:35 PM
I have hunted with John and seen him in action with his SunRay, a sight to behold! 8) :twirlingeyes: thumbsup01

Lowjiber
02-19-2010, 05:46 PM
I have hunted with John and seen him in action with his SunRay, a sight to behold! 8) :twirlingeyes: thumbsup01

Thanks Buddy!!! :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Lowjiber
02-26-2010, 08:37 AM
This is not my tip. I got it from another member of the forum...Rcasio44 (Rob).

It works great! Thanks Rob.

When you use your DX1, if you hold it near the cord you get the Max depth. As you slide your hold down on the coil it has the same effect as turning down the all metal. It gives you quick sensitivity adjustment.

RickO
02-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Good tip Lowjiber, I guess the capacitance of your hand changes the performance. RickO

Ferrous
03-09-2010, 09:22 PM
Great info, now all I need to do is purchase one. :yes:
I swear that shot of you looks like in was taken in front of the ElRancho Motel in southern Nevada. ;)

Lowjiber
03-09-2010, 10:06 PM
I swear that shot of you looks like in was taken in front of the ElRancho Motel in southern Nevada. ;)
Busted!!!! :rolleyes:

Lazyjay
04-26-2010, 10:04 PM
I also own SunRay probe and I can tell directly to you that it is the best of its kind. I have tested a lot of them (too kind not to mention the brand names) and unfortunately they failed me. SunRay probe is suitable for everybody's purposes on it.

Lowjiber
04-27-2010, 07:46 AM
Here is a video made by Cybersage a couple of years ago that demonstrates the Sunray DX-1 on a White's DFX.
http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/?action=view&current=SunRayProbe.flv

Thanks Jack!!!

sjv
04-28-2010, 08:25 AM
:angry: I have no problems using it with my XLT / the standard coil, but when I use it with the 5.3 coil It goes crazy while in detecting mode and it falses targets. Any solutions for thi problem? Right now if I use it I take It off / when I use the 9.5 coil I put it back on. :confused:

Lowjiber
04-28-2010, 08:59 AM
:angry: I have no problems using it with my XLT / the standard coil, but when I use it with the 5.3 coil It goes crazy while in detecting mode and it falses targets. Any solutions for thi problem? Right now if I use it I take It off / when I use the 9.5 coil I put it back on. :confused:

I must admit that I've never heard of that problem. The toggle switch completely disconnects the probe when the search coil (regardless of configuration) is in use. Here's a quote from the Sunray website: [size=2][size=2]Toggle switch shuts off coil as it turns probe on and vise versa. Coil and probe are never on at the same time.[size=2]

Given that, I suspect your 5.3 coil may be bad. My reasoning is based on the above quote and the fact that the probe is not moving when it's on the shaft. I think we've all made the mistake of replacing the probe on the shaft and had our detector go silent when we resume swinging. I always feel slightly embarrassed when I've forgotten to flip the switch back to the search coil and the probe is not responding because it's not moving.

You might try giving the nice folks at Sunray a call. The company is a mom-and-pop type of operation, and the folks there are very friendly. Their phone number is: 1-319-636-2244.

coinnut
04-28-2010, 09:05 AM
I must admit that I've never heard of that problem. The toggle switch completely disconnects the probe when the search coil (regardless of configuration) is in use. Here's a quote from the Sunray website: [size=2][size=2]Toggle switch shuts off coil as it turns probe on and vise versa. Coil and probe are never on at the same time.[size=2]

Given that, I suspect your 5.3 coil may be bad. My reasoning is based on the above quote and the fact that the probe is not moving when it's on the shaft. I think we've all made the mistake of replacing the probe on the shaft and had our detector go silent when we resume swinging. I always feel slightly embarrassed when I've forgotten to flip the switch back to the search coil and the probe is not responding because it's not moving.

You might try giving the nice folks at Sunray a call. The company is a mom-and-pop type of operation, and the folks there are very friendly. Their phone number is: 1-319-636-2244.

I think you're correct John. Either the switch was left on the probe setting (I've done that a million times lol) or it's a bad coil. But the probe sounds like it's functioning well if it works on the stock coil. Most of you guys are electronics guys, so you know how to elliminate causes when searching for the problem. If the probe works on one coil and not another, then it's probably the other coil at fault. :yes: Try it again Sal and make sure it's tightened good, and the switch is not on the probe setting. Let us know what happens.

Lowjiber
04-28-2010, 09:15 AM
Most of you guys are electronics guys, so you know how to eliminate causes when searching for the problem.
I must confess that I'm a retired electronic engineer. :embarrassed:

You know what they say: You can't spell GEEK without a double-e. rofl

cliff490
04-28-2010, 11:51 AM
I bought an e-trac this spring. I took the probe from my SE and put it on the et. I thought I just didn't understand the ET as the probe would stat chattering as soon as I switched it on. I later decided i wanted to to use the se put the probe back on it and same problem :confused: I called Ralph at sun ray explained the problem and he suggest i send it in he explained that they are currently out of parts and that it was going to be long and expensive fix. In the meantime I bought a new one. They have gone up $21 in price and are now shorter 6 3/4'' vs 9'' I only tried it for a short while last night but it seems to work just as good. I haven't tried it with other coils. I should have tried the 9'' with other coils but I have already sent it in.

sjv
04-29-2010, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. Yeah, I always switch it back to coil after I dig my target(usually anyways :embarrassed:) I called them before and the guy said to send it in and they would add something to it, can't remember, it was a few years ago. It seems if I use a pre-set program or one a little tweaked it works also. If I use some of the deeper programs, that's when it goes crazy. Some have said it was designed for the stock coil, not the smaller ones. I'm just afraid if i sent it in it would work with the smaller coils and go crazy with the larger one. It seems like a simple piece of electronics, so I'm not sure what is up. One thing is for sure, Don't wear boots with alot of metal like some of those hiking boots. At least keep the coil at least a couple feet away from you, But at 5'5 it's hard to do. I'm the shrinking 43 year old man. Thanks again. Good luck all.

russellt
01-03-2011, 04:26 PM
i love my dx-1. i had 32 century + clad days last year and ive said it before it would have not been possible without the dx-1. it allows for coin poppin as an art. most of my recoveries are in the 4 to 6 second range unless they are deep . then it gets even better. its a great tool

IDXit
01-14-2011, 07:58 PM
I got the DX-1 for Christmas and used it several times before the ground froze up....I really like it..so far..so good... thumbsup01 thumbsup01 .Good post John....Thanks for the info... thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01

My4Kiwis
01-14-2011, 11:40 PM
I've heard that some V3i users with the DX-1like to be able to lock into pinpoint mode (trigger forward). While reading up on how to do this I noticed that there are two options available, Pinpoint Scan and Pinpoint meter.

V31 users who do this can you please tell me which one you prefer and why.

Cheers,
JD

Nitro 54
01-15-2011, 04:01 PM
I would be lost without my DX-1.. I use it on my DFX and I am one who flips the switch forward to lock the pin point.. That lets me lay down the DFX and I'm able to use both hands to retrieve my target without having to keep squeezing the trigger. I use the probe to exactly pin pont my target if under 4-5 inches dig my plug and check the plug without having to reach for the trigger .

exsquid
01-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Good information and recap... Thanks...

In the nice weather I get to hunt every day during my lunch time as I have a great place not too far from my job....

Before I had DX-1's on my machines retrieving targets was pretty dang tedious especially when I was trying to maximize my short time during lunch...

I can probably retrieve at least 5-8 times the number of targets during my hour long lunch as what I could before having an inline pin pointer.

I don't lock it in All-Metal, I just wave it back and forth and get after that target and get back on my way....Sweetest add-on you can purchase for your detector.... I don't think I would buy a detector if their wasn't a SunRay available for it...

;) :grin: