PDA

View Full Version : Press Plate from early 1900's

jkress
09-25-2011, 11:58 PM
I found this on Thursday while hunting a park in Wisconsin with Ill Digger.
Finally got it cleaned up for a picture. It is reversed to look at it, so I can't help but think it
is a press plate for an advertisement.
As is...
http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectoristMisc/pictures/picture-44.jpg

Flipped horizontally in Photoshop.
http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectoristMisc/pictures/picture-45.jpg

I was hoping to find online the specific ad matching the plate... but no luck. Closest I did find
was from a newspaper from 1914.
http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectoristMisc/pictures/picture-46.jpg

I love finding stuff like this. :happydance01:

Epi-hunter
09-26-2011, 12:21 AM
That is just awesome, Joe!!! I love those kind of finds too. That is better than silver coins for me!

del
09-26-2011, 02:59 AM
Joe thats a very cool find , what go you think the metal composition is ? lead , brass:huh: very nice detective work and paper photo to go along with that piece .

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-26-2011, 03:36 AM
neat find! i found 2 small printing plates. they are made of some type of white cast metal.Dan the composition is much harder than lead.

tanacat
09-26-2011, 07:38 AM
That is really cool Joe- neat that you found that ad too! thumbsup01 And that you met up with Tim in Wisconsin!!! I hunted/met him in Ohio at an old Boy Scout camp last year :) (or was that 2 yrs ago?)

OxShoeDrew
09-26-2011, 02:31 PM
I wonder why that would be in a park. Was the park there in 1914?

Ad from The Country Gentleman- CREONOID—First there's Creonoid, lice destroyer and cow spray. It's one of the first requisites to the possession of happy, healthy live stock, because vermin-infested stock are only half efficient. Creonoid positively destroys vermin, flies, insects and mites. And it's cheap, too, because it's so powerful that a little goes a great way. Spray your cattle and horses with Creonoid. Simply let a fine vapor touch them by spraying. And spray some around the hennery, the stable and the piggery. You'll have more milk from your cows, more salable porkers, and more eggs from your chickens.

aloldstuff
09-26-2011, 02:51 PM
What a great piece of history you saved. I love seeing items like that. Congrats

jkress
09-26-2011, 07:26 PM
Thanks folks. I do love finding these types of things. :yes:

what go you think the metal composition is ? lead , brass:huh:

I'm really not sure of the composition. Looks like Heavymetalnut is probably right. It did and does ring in close to an IH. The plate was down about 11 inches or so.

I wonder why that would be in a park. Was the park there in 1914?

Good question. :confused: I suppose the explanations could be endless. This particular park dates back to around 1880. Thanks for the extra info. thumbsup01

Ill Digger
09-26-2011, 10:34 PM
Much clearer now that the dirt is off of it :yes: lol That is a weird find coming from a park :confused: lol
I looked and looked for a matching ad and just couldn't come up with one :hairpulling:
Maybe it's because it got broke and dropped in a park somewhere in Wisconsin and never got to print anything :dontknow: rofl

tanacat
09-27-2011, 07:09 AM
That is a weird find coming from a park :confused: lol

Maybe that's the old site of the press! Do you know the history of the park?

JTGOLD
09-27-2011, 11:07 AM
really a neat find,good job.