PDA

View Full Version : question

lee
09-27-2011, 04:36 PM
hi folks !!! a question for you.
i live in old wethersfield ct and as i mentioned in another post i met a fellow detectorist whos new to it like me.
well,two days ago he was detecting at cove park in old wethersfield when he was aproched by a lady claiming to be the superintendent for parks and rec for old wethersfield,she then proceded to tell him he is not alowed to metal detect on any land that is run by the town,parks,commons,greens,nothing ?.
he is now stuck not knowing where to go or if indeed this is true .
haveing met angel detecting in wethersfield and knowing he is of good standing in the detecting community would i be right in saying we can still detect ? has this lady got it wrong ?.
i cant seem to find anything in the town laws that says we cant.
hope someone can help us with this as me and larry are both getting realy bad cabin fever and its only been two days!!!!!!!

dave in iowa
09-27-2011, 04:43 PM
I think some people think its their park and dont want people doin it , i think the best thing to do it call the park board, i did here and they had no problem .

lee
09-27-2011, 05:08 PM
cheers davo mate,also dan just surjested calling the local police and asking them about ordenance on the parks.

god its just as well im good looking coz my spelling is bloody bad !!!!!!

Dimeman
09-27-2011, 06:08 PM
Not a thing about metal detecting anywhere..........even in the prohibited acts section..........

if you do call the parks board don't ask if you can metal detect in public places....ask what city code section has rules about metal detecting in public places.

I would print out the section and keep it with you, when you go out detecting. If a park official tells you it is against the law ------ask politely what city code you are breaking, and ask where you can see a copy of the code........tell her you looked online and didn't see anything about not being able to metal detect in the city public areas.

http://ecode360.com/8022676#8022676

lee
09-27-2011, 06:23 PM
wow dimeman.....impressive indeed !!.........thankyou so much for that.

Dimeman
09-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Anytime you want to find the rules in a city look online for that city. Most have a website and city codes. ( rules for the city)

jkress
09-27-2011, 11:39 PM
Yeah... sometimes it is in how you phrase it. :yes:
Whenever I call the appropriate people in a town of a park I would like to detect, I always introduce myself and explain where I am from. Then I mention that I am traveling to their town and would like to ask if there are any specific rules or ordinances prohibiting metal detecting in the park. I've never received a 'no' while doing this.
Jot down the persons name and phone number and stick it in your wallet. If confronted, pull out the contact info and pass it on.

lee
09-28-2011, 01:11 PM
good stuff people, me and larry are gona take dimeblokes idear and take a copy of the bylaws with us every time we go hunting.
thank you so much to everyone for being so helpfull, you guys are great......you can come round my house whenever you like and mow my lawn......lmao ha ha ha

EastCoast
09-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Hi all, I want to second Lee’s big THANK YOU to everyone. All great suggestions that are, right on the money.
And yes, I’m the one that was told metal detecting was not allowed in any of the Wethersfield parks. It was the superintendent of Parks and Recreation that stopped me. She told me she had to follow up on a complaint that was made. Although I’m new to metal detecting I have done research on the internet regarding the metal detecting code of ethics, the do’s and don’ts and I was following all the rules, like making as small a hole (plug) as possible, filling in the holes behind me and generally leaving no trace of my activity. I can only believe it was because of the complaint that I was stopped. In fact on other occasions I’ have had Parks and Rec employees come up to me while metal detecting and make small talk about what I was finding etc and never had anyone tell me not to metal detect.
At any rate, I’m making a copy of the “restricted acts” which is silent on metal detecting and will carry it with me on future hunts.
Again, thank you all for your help and support.

jkress
09-28-2011, 09:54 PM
:shocked03:
That is one GREAT big carp. Is that your catch? If so, a huge congrats on getting the state record. :clapping:

lee
09-28-2011, 09:57 PM
yup thats my baby, i call her roger for some unknown reason :huh:thinkingabout:

jkress
09-28-2011, 10:03 PM
yup thats my baby, i call her roger for some unknown reason :huh:thinkingabout:

:wow: Very nicely done sir. What did she weigh in at?

lee
09-28-2011, 11:10 PM
44.12lb.. a tower of power......25mins to land her...and she whent back with a picture and a kiss unharmed

jkress
09-28-2011, 11:16 PM
44.12lb.. a tower of power.

<: All respect to you on the CPR. :clapping:

EastCoast
09-29-2011, 07:18 AM
Lee, that is one big fish. Congrats on the record

Mudder
10-02-2011, 02:03 PM
I have been using the same method that JKress posted, and have yet to receive a no from 4 local communities. I did have on official that asked about lawn damage, and I provided him with the standard rules that we live by and he was happy with that. It seems as long and you explain how you will do it and remain polite, city officials are more than willing to work with you.

BOWSER
10-05-2011, 10:04 PM
wow and all this time i thought it was plastic thumbsup01

dave in iowa
10-05-2011, 10:19 PM
I do the same as Joe when looking for parks , never been turned down, at churchs ,i always give them some nice silver medals ive found , especially if i find it at their church... i think i have 14 churchs on my list , , i play and write my own music , and have some cds of my stuff , i give private people and churchs one of my cds, and usually a indian head penny in a holder . only been turned down by our town priest , joe knows who that is , odd fellow i am told. but a polite call and face to face visist seems the best for me. and always leave a clean hole , use a drop cloth , in nicer yards i sometimes carry water and some grass seed , mix miricle grow in the water ...... my thoughts ...