PDA

View Full Version : Surprise late afternoon hunt grabs a Barber

jkress
09-28-2011, 08:58 PM
I had to travel to a small town for non-metal detecting reasons this afternoon. Last night I looked
the area up on google and found a park worth a try once business was finished.

For 90 minutes I searched for a reason to make a return trip in the future. It was a challenging
hunt since a large area of what I searched was layered with hot rocks or burnt coal/wood pieces.
At first I though my pinpointer was acting up as it went off in every direction of the hole on the first half dozen plugs. :confused:

A Barber and an early wheat cent did manage to save the hunt. :happydance01:

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-157.jpg

Below is a picture of one of the many pieces that had my detector and pinpointer chirping everywhere.
http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectoristMisc/pictures/picture-47.jpg

This park is probably worth a return trip... but it isn't necessarily towards the top of my list. :rolleyes: lol

Epi-hunter
09-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Wow Joe. Nice score!! :happydance01:

I would say it's worth a return trip, even if you are wanting to wrap your detector around a tree from the frustration. That silver doesn't look like what typically comes out of the ground in Iowa; obviously some tough ground. :-\

milco
09-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Glad to see you taking advantage of the business trip for a little diggin'! Two nice old coins there!

Cheap Thrills
09-28-2011, 11:26 PM
Congrats on the Barber . thumbsup01 thumbsup01 :cool: Man, it's been ages since I've dug one of those . :-\

jkress
09-28-2011, 11:35 PM
Thank you Milco and Sheik... hang in the Sheik, you'll grab a Barber soon. :yes:

I would say it's worth a return trip, even if you are wanting to wrap your detector around a tree from the frustration.

You are probably right. While dealing with the barrage of frustrations these metallic pieces were causing me tonight, I couldn't help but think they are probably providing some excellent cover for other keepers. :thinkingabout:

That silver doesn't look like what typically comes out of the ground in Iowa

You hit the nail right on the head there. lol This hunt was in Wisconsin soil.

Ill Digger
09-29-2011, 01:11 AM
For 90 minutes I searched for a reason to make a return trip in the future.
Well you found it! lol Sounds like tough huntin' :yes:
But in true Jkress fashion you managed to rescue a couple of nice oldies :yes: thumbsup01 :clapping:
Especially the Barber ! :drool:
Nice goin' thumbsup01
Congrats :grin:

dave in iowa
09-29-2011, 02:16 AM
Joe seems to always rescue a good keeper from the ground , good hunt Joe.

tanacat
09-29-2011, 07:20 AM
At first I though my pinpointer was acting up as it went off in every direction of the hole on the first half dozen plugs. :confused:

I hate it when that happens \:[ Congrats on your Barber dime Joe!!! |:cheering: Nice to have a reason to go back.

randy
09-29-2011, 07:30 AM
Nice hunt. If the site is really frustrating, could have kept the competition out of there. Might me lots more good stuff hidden there.

JTGOLD
09-29-2011, 08:56 AM
very nice barber and IH,very good hunt.

CyberSage
09-29-2011, 02:11 PM
You sure have been pulling some nice coins lately Joe. Remember, difficult hunting situations means more of a chance that the last guy missed the good stuff. Great Barber.

aloldstuff
10-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Congrats on a Barber and an early wheat.

wingmaster
10-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Congrats on the barber, I always wish that I can at least get a barber but of course it hardly ever works out that way.