PDA

View Full Version : No Place Is Hunted Out, Is It True If 6-8 or Less?

MartinL
09-29-2011, 04:29 PM
OK, I've read a lot about people hitting spots again that have been hit really hard, find stuff, and also read repeatedly that no-place is ever totally hunted out. So, if eliminating the surface coins just lost in the last week or so since your last visit, it is still true that no place is ever totally hunted out? I will presume that some detectorists will tout deep seeking equipment and then 8-10 finds will ALWAYS happen, but assume that your area to hunt really doesn't condone real digs, such as fancy parks and neat athletic facilities, not to mention private property, such as my own yard. I'll wager a few bucks to a visiting hunter, that my front acre and a half here at home ain't giving up coins anymore.

Yea I am being extreme, yet when you use the words never hunted out...for all practical purposes, many are. jm2c martin

Diggler
09-29-2011, 06:21 PM
I'll take that 1.5 acre challenge! :shocked01:
I think we are both in DFW...?
Probably is hunted out for all intensive purposes, but... there is always 1 more!
Sounds like a job for the CleanSweep!!!

Viking
09-29-2011, 07:59 PM
I've hunted a few spots from the 60's to death, and they sure feel hunted out! Considering that the property was prairie for hundreds of years, and I've only found coins at 5 and less (seems like an appropriate coin depth based on sink rate and hard soil), I think she's pretty wiped clean. >:tongue: I've gone back multiple times with the nothing is ever hunted out mentality, but it wasn't pretty. :-\

I'd like to see this wager play out once I get down to DFW! :beerbuddy:

Dimeman
09-29-2011, 11:56 PM
Yes it is true.

At one of our club seeded hunts they planted about 300 silver dimes in a sand, double volleyball court.
About 20 people searched for at least 45 minutes looking for the coins. The hunt was supposed to be 30 minutes but the club president wanted to make sure no coins were left.
I went back a week later and found 15 silver dimes that 19 other people were all over the small area with 19 other detectors. How could 19 other people miss 15 silver coins in less than 5 inches of sand??

On the side of my house in the 40+ years I have been detecting is an area 3:blackeye:12 and I have searched it with at least 10 different detectors over the years. When I got my AT Pro early this year I went to see if any junk was in that area. I dug up a wheat penny at 4 inches deep, and 3 junk metal items at 3-4 inches deep, from an area I searched more than a dozen times in the past with many detectors, and thought it was pretty clean of any metal items.

One of the largest parks here has been searched by loads of people since the 1970's, and there are still old items being dug from the park.

I have been back to many areas that I have hunted, and hunted many times. I can go there and still find something in the ground even after it has been cleaned out.

There is no such thing as hunted out. ( just my honest opinion)

Vito
09-30-2011, 01:20 AM
Think there is one easy rule about. If you decide to hunt this spot, it's not hunted out. It's hunted out when you lost interest in this area. ;) :)

JTGOLD
09-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Think there is one easy rule about. If you decide to hunt this spot, it's not hunted out. It's hunted out when you lost interest in this area. ;) :)

I agree 100% !!!

396nova
10-01-2011, 10:48 PM
I believe an area can be hunted down, but not out. The person that swept a detector on those site first, got the easy pickins. It got harder for those that followed. Many people out swinging a detector, don`t know what their detector is telling them, I was one of them, until I learned detector language. Like Dimeman said, even the best detectorist can miss the target in what looks like an easy area to hunt. It is not hunted out til you give up!

Civil War Nut
10-02-2011, 11:39 PM
OK, I've read a lot about people hitting spots again that have been hit really hard, find stuff, and also read repeatedly that no-place is ever totally hunted out. So, if eliminating the surface coins just lost in the last week or so since your last visit, it is still true that no place is ever totally hunted out? I will presume that some detectorists will tout deep seeking equipment and then 8-10 finds will ALWAYS happen, but assume that your area to hunt really doesn't condone real digs, such as fancy parks and neat athletic facilities, not to mention private property, such as my own yard. I'll wager a few bucks to a visiting hunter, that my front acre and a half here at home ain't giving up coins anymore.

Yea I am being extreme, yet when you use the words never hunted out...for all practical purposes, many are. jm2c martin
Hidy M. Beleave me ,Thats NOT a very good bet .

BOWSER
10-03-2011, 01:02 AM
you may not believe this,but under certain conditions coins do move around in the soil, rain,moisture and possibly frost and of course if elephants happen by.

MartinL
10-03-2011, 11:02 PM
These coins would have to be pushed from next door, or tossed in my people passing by seeing the many hours I hunted here ;-) martin

RobW
10-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Never completely hnted out. I have one spot I've been hitting for quite awhile now. I have it it with everything I have, then, I get a new toy or a new program, and go back though and still find stuff...sometimes it's a matter of direction.

MartinL
10-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Y'all would be literally shocked to know how many hours I have detected this place of mine since getting the Whites 5900, and then the V3i. If a spot of land can be hunted out...it is this one, unless the new Whites is failing in it's duties somehow. I have seriously over and over and over, hunted this ground. But, I certainly do understand that most all ground can, and do, resurface a coin that you didn't find in the many trips you made there before. In my hundreds of hours spent in this yard since May 2010(just ask my neighbors who drive by), I believe I've got all of the coins from the open yard area of mine. I will say though, if and when we get a lot of soaking rains here in North Texas, the detectors I have may see a lot better beyond 8 with moist soil, and a deep coin could possibly be down there. My soil is like powder and the V3i generally struggles too much on a 9 quarter I buried last year, even with the 10 coil.

I may just have the only hunted out acre+ of all ;-) martin

RaZR
10-04-2011, 08:18 PM
An E-Trac will find all kinds of coins in your yard! They find coins even where there are no coins!
I'm finding silver coins at the county fairgrounds that i know have been hit a bazillion times since 1964. There were two guys that showed up when i was finishing up one day. They came from several towns away to hunt here. There are no parks anywhere that haven't been hit over and over in the past 50 years.
But there are still coins there that others have missed. Get yourself an E-Trac and
listen for the sweet high pitched sound that says I'm silver, dig me up.
Also remember to always wear clean underwear every time you go detecting.
Of course they might get dirty when you start finding all the great things you'll be finding with an E-Trac. :yes:

POKIE73
12-02-2011, 07:47 AM
my name is dennis i have hunted my local park along with others for 25 plus years it still gives up a coin or two my 11 year old grandson wtih my ace 250 in the last month has found a 1881 ih and a 1912 barber dime it is not a easy task but it can be done thank you dennis

Dick Stout
12-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Had a park back in Central New Jersey that I must have hunted well over 300 times....never failed to come home with silver.

MartinL
12-09-2011, 07:46 PM
An E-Trac will find all kinds of coins in your yard! They find coins even where there are no coins!
I'm finding silver coins at the county fairgrounds that i know have been hit a bazillion times since 1964. There were two guys that showed up when i was finishing up one day. They came from several towns away to hunt here. There are no parks anywhere that haven't been hit over and over in the past 50 years.
But there are still coins there that others have missed. Get yourself an E-Trac and
listen for the sweet high pitched sound that says I'm silver, dig me up.
Also remember to always wear clean underwear every time you go detecting.
Of course they might get dirty when you start finding all the great things you'll be finding with an E-Trac. :yes:

It will be fun someday to have another dectorist search this yard with their Etrac. I may get disappointed when they yank coins easily that's here, that the Spectra missed, but I'd rather know what may come deeper than the average of 6-8. martin

starman2
12-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Okay!, Heres my two cents. I have been hunting a nature center near me. The existing house on the property was built in 1921. When it was used to hold large fish tanks. Back when the DNR used to stock the lakes in the area. Thru the years. There has been alot of public traffic. Visitors, Camp outs, tours, and such. I have found 2 1945 Quarters, 3 mercs. 1 of which, was a beautiful 1924. That looks like it had been dropped, when it was new. and about 9 Roosevelts. A scad of old cub scout, and boy scout handcerchief holders. alot of clad. And Wheaties. And a few silver rings. I've hammered that area all year, with the XLT. I had the New DFX out the other day. I found another clad quarter. In an area that I thought I had wiped clean. I don't think that 1 person can hit every spot. If the area has been hit by other MD's they didn't do a very good job!

RaZR
12-10-2011, 03:16 PM
It will be fun someday to have another dectorist search this yard with their Etrac. I may get disappointed when they yank coins easily that's here, that the Spectra missed, but I'd rather know what may come deeper than the average of 6-8. martin

For that you will probably need a shovel! With the E-trac you can dig the coins from more than 8 with your digger. And find tiny silver dimes hiding under roots.
Or sitting next to nails and other junk. Test one out at an old park and maybe you can pull out three seated dimes like the ones i pulled out this year. But you won't find them in your septic tank or your driveway or probably not even in the field behind your house. You gotta leave the house and your own yard. Go to where alot of people gathered and lost their stuff!

GL