PDA

View Full Version : Ready to take the plunge!!

396nova
09-29-2011, 09:17 PM
I got my chest waders, a new Garrett AT Pro w/waterproof headphones,and a long handle sand scoop. I`m ready to take the plunge at a popular local swimming beach, or am I? Did I forget anything? What other thing do I need for my first waist deep hunt?

del
09-30-2011, 02:50 AM
chest waders are good at a freash water pond or lake as there isn't to much wave action unless there alot of boat traffic. then i would suggest a wet suit as you don't have to worry about water over taking the waders and filling up with water . i've heard of guys almost drowning because of this. some also use a floating screen behind them to dump the muck and mud into . just be careful.

Dan

Epi-hunter
09-30-2011, 08:23 AM
I second Dan's comment about a wet suit if there is a chance that the waders can fill with water. I remember a MDer who drowned that way a few years back.

I have heard nothing but great things about the AT Pro. Looking forward to seeing what you find. |:cheering:

396nova
09-30-2011, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the advice. Especially, the be careful. I don`t plan on pushing the waders limits. Chest waders were probably over kill. I have some big sandy slow sloping beaches to cover. I will work the shallower area now, then next summer if I like the water detecting I could go for the wet suit and deeper water. I have seen some posts that had pictures of floating screens.

JTGOLD
09-30-2011, 11:01 AM
I can't swim so I will stay on dry land,but good luck on your new venture.