PDA

View Full Version : COLONIAL TRADE AXE * TOMBACS & FLATTIES

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Got out with sniffy to my sites that gave up quite a few coppers in past hunts. no coppers surfaced today but got some buttons.2 tombacs,6 flatties,a hand forged colonial trade axe? & half a pair of colonial shears.
a real strange blueish ant like creature on a log and some nature shots of mushrooms

Cheap Thrills
10-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Great finds and pictures as always . |:cheering: I wonder if that Blue Ant is the Queen of the Colony ?

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Great finds and pictures as always . |:cheering: I wonder if that Blue Ant is the Queen of the Colony ?

thanks and I don't know.never seen a blue ant :dontknow: usually the queen is not prancing around alone on a log :thinkingabout:

Tony Two-Cent
10-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Very sorry, but I'm having a problem concentrating on your finds because of that GIANT MUTANT BLUE ANT!

Seriously, what the heck is that thing? :shocked04:

Suddenly I'm glad that I live in Illinois where our ants are ant-sized and not blue! rofl

At any rate, I always love your photos and I like that you always include shots of the surroundings and the cool fungi. Looks like you found some real nice buttons!

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Very sorry, but I'm having a problem concentrating on your finds because of that GIANT MUTANT BLUE ANT!

Seriously, what the heck is that thing? :shocked04:

Suddenly I'm glad that I live in Illinois where our ants are ant-sized and not blue! rofl

At any rate, I always love your photos and I like that you always include shots of the surroundings and the cool fungi. Looks like you founds some real nice buttons!

rofl the finds ain't that special anyways. I'm trying to google the blue ant to find out what the heck this thing is :confused:

jkress
10-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Awesome bunch of buttons HMN. :clapping: We have buttons here... but nothing as old as what you find. :drool:
Another great set of pictures too.
The insect shot looks like some sort of hybrid sci-fi thing. :shocked03:

del
10-03-2011, 02:59 AM
hey nice tombacs it says you have an old colonial homesite to me :yes: :yes: sorry i don't think you have a trade ax though as i have not seen one yet with a set of lugs (lower area where the handle goes up into) and almost all have either a round or teardrop shaped eye ( hole for the handle) it is a nice belt hatchet or small ax and is probably late colonial too. still a very cool find Dave . as for the mutated radio active ant , i can offer no help but to say if you get bit by it remember to leave your GW'S to me in your will buddy . lol rofl rofl

sniffy
10-03-2011, 05:08 AM
Now I told you not to go saying that was a dag gone trade axe. :bop: I've never really seen one, but it kinda sorta resembles one that i've seen.

OxShoeDrew
10-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Love the ant.
Correct me if I'm wrong....the first pictured button is from the early 19th cent and the second button is from the 18th cent.

RobW
10-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Nice buttons Dave! :clapping:

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Love the ant.
Correct me if I'm wrong....the first pictured button is from the early 19th cent and the second button is from the 18th cent.

I need to correct you.the 1st button shown dug is the same button in top left hand corner of cleaned buttons.it's a tombac.the one to the right of it is also a tombac.both 18th century just never seen a tombac with a rim on the reverse side.Dan have you?

del
10-04-2011, 07:44 PM
just never seen a tombac with a rim on the reverse side.Dan have you?

oh yeah , i've recovered quite a few now Dave . i've even have a few tombacs that are larger than some dandy sized buttons .they come in all sorts of sizes and shapes.

skrapman
01-31-2012, 10:18 PM
nice finds.I really liked the trade axe, I found 12 axe heads last year but no early trades. Way to go. :wow:

CODY
02-01-2012, 04:36 AM
:wow: Those are some really nice finds! GREAT pictures! :perfect10: Thanks so much for sharing!

aloldstuff
02-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Nice pile of buttons DAve. If my memory serves me right, when a blue giant ant is seen that means that there is usually silver in the area. LOL