PDA

View Full Version : Flat Battery?

skribnod
10-02-2011, 07:57 PM
I have been experiencing poor detection with my etrac lately and can't seem to locate any coins below 4 inches. It simply won't give a solid signal for anything but large metal or pop cans below 4 inches >:\ I did a master reset and set the machine up with my usual preferences and made a few patterns. Upon shutting the machine off and walking across the room, the machine turned itself back on and displayed Flat Battery on the screen. Any ideas as to what this means? The battery is the standard rechargeable one that came with the machine and was almost fully charged. I am sending it back in when the season is over , but was wondering what this means?

Thanks

Epi-hunter
10-02-2011, 08:13 PM
I did some research on this. Apparently the 'flat battery' message comes on when the machine is trying to preserve your detector's main settings because there is some very serious issue with the battery.

It hasn't happened much, but it has happened.

Tony Two-Cent
10-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Have you tried using the alternate battery pack that takes eight AA batteries? Maybe the problem is only with your rechargeable battery. I would try the AA battery pack and see if your machine's performance improves. If so, I would exchange the rechargeable battery pack for a new one.

Ill Digger
10-02-2011, 08:35 PM
It turned it's self back on? :shocked01: :huh: I had mine turn itself off by itself before. This was before it's trip to Minelab for repair. I've never had it turn itself back on before :dontknow: I know you'll get a Flat battery screen just before the machine shuts itself off when the batteries are completely depleated :confused: Maybe that battery pack is bad. Does the machine do the same with the AA battery pack also? :-\

Edt: Great minds think alike Tony! thumbsup01 You just type faster! lol

jkress
10-02-2011, 09:11 PM
:confused: Very strange occurrence. I know you've mentioned your concerns about your machine to me before, but this one would definitely send up the red :usaflag:. Do you have the AA pack? If not, let me know. I'd be more than happy to let you borrow mine.
Let me know,
Joe

BOWSER
10-02-2011, 09:32 PM
I have p[osted this before on other forums ,i have never had luck with recharge batteries, some would charge just fine, but others would charge at different voltages and louse everthing up, i hate them, never had a problem with alkies .

skribnod
10-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Thanks all for the replies.
I do have the extra battery pack and will try that tomarrow ( thnx for the offer JKress). I turned it on and off several more times and it seems to be working ok now. The rechargeable pack is still showing 75% and came off the charger just three days ago after a two day charge. I was surprised to see the machine turn itself back on the first time :shocked03:. After a hour hunt the other day I hung up the machine and walked away feeling disqusted with the machine. I was finding deep targets easily after recieving the machine but it has diminished severely. I had a SEF 6x8 coil and sunray probe on the machine but have removed them and went back to stock coil for test run tomarrow. I'm thinking it may be the aftermarket coil or sunray probe that may be causing the problem so I am going with a proccess of elimination to see if I can find the problem. Thanks again for the help.