PDA

View Full Version : Hunted a Stage Coach Stop Today

Ill Digger
10-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Theola and I were invited to hunt a old farm house that we were told was a old stage coach stop. We each had a really fun hunt with some nice finds! thumbsup01 The first signal I got was a 1898 IH! :shocked04: <: About 2 minutes later 10 feet away I found a 1916D Buff! :shocked04: :shocked04: :happydance01: Right then and there I knew we were in for a fun day of metal detecting!! As I stand up I hear Ted say from across the front yard ROSIE. :tongue: I said Yeah? I got a IH and a Buff :teasing: lol I picked up about four more wheaties within the next hour and a half. As I was on my way to the truck to get a sip of Dew I picked up another wheat as I stand up I get a squeak and as I start to sweep to find the culprit the signal kept getting better :drool:and better :drool: Higher :drool: :twirlingeyes: and higher :drool: The E-Trac was showing the target around 6 or 7 inches :drool: :daydream: :smitten: I was just swing over the target repeatedly just to hear that sweet sound! :drool: :smitten: lol I dig down and see the silver edge of a quarter! <: Before looking at it closely I was thinking to myself This is deep enough it could be a Barber. :confused: :drool: After a closer look I see its a Standing Liberty quarter! :happydance01: happydance02 And finally one WITH a date!!! :happydance01: It's a 1927 SLQ.
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_0921.jpg
Things kinda slowed down for me after that for most of the day. In the mean time Ted was having a good day too! :yes: thumbsup01 He had already found the Rosie and a Merc! Shortly after that he finds a slightly worn Buff of his own! But the find of the day came in the forum of a old foreign silver coin!
Here's Theolas finds for the day thumbsup01
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_0923.jpg
Here's some close ups of the mystery coin he found. :thinkingabout: :cool:
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_0924.jpg
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_0925.jpg

I also found some cool relics and such too. Here's a pic of those items lol
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_0926.jpg

Before leaving I was able to find silver number 59 of the season! A 1946 Rosie thumbsup01
It was a beautiful sunny ,70+° day full of great finds!
Thanks for lookn' & HH everybody! :grin:

Tony Two-Cent
10-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Wow, that is one fantactic day of detecting! This may sound odd, but I would almost rather find a Standing Liberty Quarter than a Barber. Especially if the SLQ is as nice as that one! Barber quarters look just like Barber dimes and halves, but the SLQ has a unique design and they don't turn up too often. (At least for me!)

Very nice silver foreign coin too! Is it Swedish or Norwegian?

Epi-hunter
10-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Great finds Tim, and I love the photos... that dated SLQ is beautiful! The other coins are as well. That is an incredible day.

I would say that is worth a trip back... :perfect10: :perfect10:

silver star
10-03-2011, 09:13 PM
You guys did great :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:. Big congrats on SLQ with date and rest of your finds. WTG!!! HH Mike

jkress
10-03-2011, 09:15 PM
All day I was imagining of all the great stuff you guys were finding. :-> Was looking forward to your post.

You and Ted really did well at this site... very well. :clapping: You gotta love when sites like this come along and then
start producing right off the bat. So many nice finds here that it is hard to pick a favorite... so I'll pick two. The SLQ and
especially the 12 Skilling coin. :shocked03: That is quite a nice one to find.

Congrats to the both of you. I hope a return trip is in order for you guys. :yes:

JTGOLD
10-03-2011, 09:20 PM
awsome day of hunting,great finds and some silver too,wtg.

wingmaster
10-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Awesome hunt for sure, congrats on all the great finds.

dave in iowa
10-03-2011, 09:32 PM
wonderful hunt , wow a stage coach stop. bet there is more there.. good luck next time. thumbsup01

396nova
10-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Great finds, everyone should have a day like that. Keep up the good work!

milco
10-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Wow, great finds, congrats on a some great hunting. That 12 skilling coin is awesome!

Cheap Thrills
10-04-2011, 12:27 AM
Now that's a great hunt !!! :perfect10: thumbsup01

:groovy:

del
10-04-2011, 05:55 AM
hey Tim thats a great days worth of detecting right there |:cheering: |:cheering: a very nice amount of quality coins and a good amount of relics to , get back out there and detect it some more. :clapping: :clapping: big congrats

aloldstuff
10-04-2011, 06:53 AM
Great day of hunting with lots of keepers. Congrats on your 1st dated SLQ. :perfect10:

rsarge1
10-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Awesome hunt wtg definately worth another trip back!!! :beerbuddy: |:cheering:

skribnod
10-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Awesome hunt , congrats on the beautifull coins. :clapping:

Spike
10-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Those SLQs sure do catch you off gaurd and then :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: sounds like a very neat place to hunt thumbsup01

BillZ
10-05-2011, 06:46 AM
That looks like lots of fun! :peace:
That standing liberty is in good shape.Is the foreign coin holed for a necklace?
There has got to be more. Go back!

Ill Digger
10-06-2011, 12:44 AM
Wow, that is one fantactic day of detecting! This may sound odd, but I would almost rather find a Standing Liberty Quarter than a Barber. Especially if the SLQ is as nice as that one! Barber quarters look just like Barber dimes and halves, but the SLQ has a unique design and they don't turn up too often. (At least for me!)

Very nice silver foreign coin too! Is it Swedish or Norwegian?
They don't turn up to often for me either. If it's going to be a SLQ rather than a Barber at least it had a date! <:
From what I've seen it turns out to be a coin from Norway! Of all the finds that day I told Theola. I bet that came across the frontier on a stage coach or wagon train :daydream: Now thats cool! thumbsup01

I would say that is worth a trip back... :perfect10: :perfect10:

I hope a return trip is in order for you guys. :yes:

Awesome hunt wtg definately worth another trip back!!! :beerbuddy: |:cheering:
I'm going to try :yes: :drool: But I was invited here. And unfotunatly the guy who invited us hasn't had any luck there so....I don't know if he'll be in any big rush to get back there :dontknow: But! I'll be trying! You can bet on that! :yes: thumbsup01 lol

Those SLQs sure do catch you off gaurd and then :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01:
You got that right! :shocked04: lol It defiantly took the pressure off of me finding a silver <: lol

Is the foreign coin holed for a necklace?
I've heard that theory. But the one I believe is closer to the truth is, the coins were holed so they could be sewn into the pockets of either a set of pants. Or into the pocket of a coat, somewhere it couldn't easily be lost. What baffles me is how is there a bur on both sides of the coin? :confused: :dontknow: Still a great find!

Thanks for lookin' and commenting everyone! |:confused:)