PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Experts Need Your Help

Bell-Two
10-04-2011, 07:52 AM
My wife dug this at a fairly new park that once was farm fields it is a bullet that I believe is a minnie ball measures at .58 caliber which it typical, does not have any rings on base as many of them do. Any help would be appreciated.

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

Bell-Two
10-04-2011, 11:35 AM
a relic hunter on another forum identified it as a .577 British Enfield which was a weapon used extensively by both sides in the Civil War.

del
10-04-2011, 12:46 PM
hello Bell-Two sorry , i.d.ing bullets just isn't one of my strong areas of knowledge ( wish it was )
Civil War Nut is a pretty good guy to knowing that kind of info , so he could probably confirm it .

Dan

Civil War Nut
10-05-2011, 12:53 AM
Hidy Bell . Hope its OK to do this , If not I am sorry . Glad to help , I cant find nothing lately , so maybe I can do this I hope . YEP from the looks of it she has a GOOD one . You must be close to VA. , N. C. , or Ga.. Those are hard to come by here in N. W. Tn. I have found two or three , two from Union City , and one here in Kenton . I looked but they must be at the Museum in Jackson , or I have gave them to other people . About six or seven have come out of Union City . Lot of people here you say .577 cal. they right off the bat thank you are talking about a Williams cleaner bullet . That is why we call them Tower bullets . I thank I have seen them called that in a book I have somewhere , but cant say for sure . I am sure Reb. and Evan call them the Tower bullets also . Could have been the .69 cal. I have only seen one . They are RARE . Hope this helps with the pics. You can pull up Civil War Bullets , and if you got all night & day you can find all kinds and what they are worth . Glad to help and the best of luck . Your friend in N.W. ,Tn.

Bell-Two
10-05-2011, 05:40 AM
Thanks so much for you help I have learned a lot already about this and your post was so helpful. Sent PM with more.

OxShoeDrew
10-05-2011, 04:54 PM
Nice find Bell-Two and great info CW Nut. Thanks.

Dirt Fisher
10-06-2011, 12:39 PM
I have found several enfields here in the east tennessee area. Not as common as 3 ringers or spencer carbines but have found several. All of mine have came from confederate campsites. I have one that has a bunch of teeth marks in it like it had been bit on. Enfields are a cool find.