PDA

View Full Version : An Indian at Fort Hale Park! (video added)

Snapolson
10-04-2011, 01:18 PM
So, Bob AKA Dirt Lizard (from the Friendly MD Forum) and I went out this morning to Fort Hale Park in New Haven to have a little hunt before lunch. We started by a massive tree which had to be about 15 feet in diameter and probably over 150 years old. We weren't there for two minutes when work crews came up and said the tree was going to be cut down! (See 1st photo)

We went across the street to another open field section and I started by what appeared to be either an old well or where a big tree might have been previously. I swung for a few minutes and hit a solid 30-32 on the Xterrra 505 I'm borrowing. It showed it to be just below the surface. I thought I was going to get another Stinkin Lincoln but I flipped over the clump of grass and this Indian Head penny popped out! I couldn't believe it. I let a hoot and raised my arms up <: Some guy under the pavilion near by just looked at me and stared. LOL!

The rest of the hunt was uneventful with nothing but old nails, bottle caps, and pull tabs. The Indian sure made my day though! BTW, I'll be making a video of the hunt and will post it soon. Thanks for looking and HAPPY HUNTING to you all!

Here's the Youtube vid: MD Hunt 10-04-11 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PEdnBsFC2A#ws)

del
10-04-2011, 01:25 PM
huge tree :wow: i bet its closer to 200 years old , to bad they had to cut it down though , but because they shoo'd you away you got the indian out of the deal . congrats

aloldstuff
10-04-2011, 02:01 PM
That is one big tree, do you know why they were cutting it down? Congrats on the IH. I would be going back to where the tree stood and hit that area also.

SeabeeRon
10-04-2011, 03:19 PM
Nice IH! Go back after that tree is down and look around the root ball area! :cool:

wingmaster
10-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Congrats on the IH.

Tony Two-Cent
10-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Congrats on finding the Indian Head! Always a great coin to recover.

Good job! :clapping:

Epi-hunter
10-05-2011, 09:28 PM
That is a VERY old tree :omg: Congrats on finding the IH!! Love finding those :clapping: Like others said, there may still be coins there.... lots of dirt and roots displaced with that kind of tree.

JTGOLD
10-06-2011, 10:49 AM
nice save on the IH,wtg.

Ill Digger
10-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Man :( What a shame they took that Goliath of a tree down \:[
But like the others have said, go look were it was standing. It provided shade for many, many years! :yes:
Who knows whats been left underneath of it! :yes: :drool:
It all worked out in the end. :yes: You got yourself a nice IH outta the deal! lol thumbsup01
Congrats :grin: