PDA

View Full Version : Question for shallow water detecting?

396nova
10-04-2011, 03:48 PM
I went to a fresh water swimming beach this morning with my AT Pro, waders, long handle sand scoop, and floating sifter. Any one that does this regularly must have one heck of a strong right arm. I knew it would be hard swing in the water, but after 2 hours I was getting really tired. I was lucky and found 1 clad quarter and a bottle cap. I passed up a few iffy targets that were 6-8 deep, because I was having trouble digging that deep in the water, the holes kept filling back in. Can a hole be dug to an 8 deep target? What is the secret to digging that deep?

cdv
10-04-2011, 05:09 PM
396Nova water hunting is a learning experience for sure. My first attempt was about 2 hours also. My arm was killing me but after a few weekends in the water, I graduated to a week at the beach where I actually detected for close to 12 hours one particular day. Now, I did change up some with moving my control unit to my hip (not sure if that is possible with the AT) so if your control head is in the water it will definately add to the resistance of the water when swinging.

Not sure if what I do is proper or not but it works for me, I don't fight the water much trying to power through it swinging, I go really slow and that way I'm not pushing the water as hard which I think allows me to last longer in the water before the arm starts screaming.

As for the 8deep hole, I know it can be done but isn't easy cause as you found out they do have a tendency to fill back in. I have had some that I had to give up on never finding the prize in the hole.... I left envisioning a bottle cap with fins that would just swim off to the side each time I'd dig... it can be frustrating but oh the feeling when you see that yellow ring in the bottom of the scoop. I dig everything, that gold could be anywhere on the scale on a detector so I don't take a chance.

Oh, I tried my waders this past weekend and found that I need something different or larger ones, I could hardly pick up my leg enough to put my foot on the scoop to dig... had to laugh at myself at that one....I need some newer neoprene ones instead of the old style I have that leak also.

Cliff

396nova
10-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the reply. It is nice having help with this MDing. I was out again this morning with better results. I dug some 8 deep holes. It just takes practice. I only found trash in the deep holes, but at least I knew what was down there. The day started out so good. I just got in the water, ground balanced , and started swinging. I had not move 2` when I got a 76 ID @ 4. It was a ring. I thought it was gold until I got home, and did not see anything on the inside, like 10Kt. It is probably junk, but it is a ring. The scoop worked good.

cdv
10-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Congrats on the ring. What I like is you just never know what you will find next. Simply amazing what you can find in the water... Keep practicing and learning the detector, you will do fine.

Cliff

midas
10-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Hi, that ring looks like aluminum. But, it's your first. It takes awhile to get used to digging in the water. Practice makes perfect. Just PLEASE, PLEASE fill in your holes!!!!! I've been to some lakes where others did not, and you can drown in waders when stepping into the craters they left behind.
Keep us informed of your finds.

Jason in Enid
11-26-2011, 11:40 PM
When swinging the coil under water, don't force it and don't try to go as fast as on land. Smooth and steady.... your arm will thank you!

Yes, an 8 inch deep hole can be dug by using a 12 inch long scoop. I know it sounds funny, but it's true. That is the reason water hunters always recommend big scoops like RTG monster, etc. Digging holes in water is different from land and takes practice. If nobody has told you how, let us know and I or someone else can explain the process.

skrapman
02-14-2012, 07:21 PM
I must be a baby, because i hate wearing waders,have a hard time picking up my leg, the shoulder straps fall down and its alot
harder to find the target. Relic hunter at heart. I just wait for april to go out with my hooka system.