PDA

View Full Version : Some cool finds

tanacat
10-05-2011, 09:52 AM
I found this site while driving to one of my favorite old parks (lake and ducks-great view) There's a sign in the yard stating that it was built in 1853, so I got the nerve up to ask permission. He was quite intimidating staring me down from the top step with a what the hell do you want kind of look :-\

He's hard of hearing so I kept having to repeat my reasoning for wanting to dig up his yard lol He warmed up quickly and told me the history of the yard- the location of smoke house that was built in 1820 (2nd pic) and pointed to where the old privy was :yes: Back behind the flower bed (3rd pic) I'm going to ask my friend to help dig the pit for bottles.

I finally found the merc after finding 10 early wheats. I switched from Coin and Jewelry mode to Deep Silver on my V3i and found the merc at 6 right away! I found the P.O.D. button in Relic mode at about 7. My favorite button so far, I love the details (my eagle general service coat button is close). The 50 cent coal script- The Beaver C & M Company- I found the same 25 cent piece that had close to 10 bids and sold for $75! I have it soaking in olive oil...

So after I find these goodies the owner is sitting on the porch w/his daughter. I showed them and gave him the 1916 wheat (he was born that year- he's almost 100! He's very astute. And still working as a locksmith. And driving! ) I gave a 1946 wheat to his daughter for the year she was born. Also gave a couple toys that were prob his or maybe her kids.

I found just about everything between these old cedar trees. The Play Dough 5 cent coins were about 8 or 9 deep!!! A fun day without the kids :yes:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/104_1690.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/104_1693.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/104_1692.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/104_1694.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/104_1706.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/104_1707.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/104_1708.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/104_1711.jpg

Ill Digger
10-05-2011, 10:32 AM
thumbsup01 Yep! That place would've caught my eye too! :yes:
Ol'boy is getting up there. It's great to talk to some of these home owners that have lived in these old houses for so many years :daydream:
It was very nice of you to give the owner and his daughter the wheaties from their birth years too :clapping: I bet they liked that! thumbsup01
Looks like a great place to revisit too :drool:
As we all know I like tokens :drool:....and that one you found is soooo cool! :drool: And BIG! :twirlingeyes: Wow! :shocked04: <:
Cool finds Tawna! :cool: :clapping:
Congrats :grin:
I found a couple of those POD buttons last year. Both in the same yard. About 5 feet apart :yes:

del
10-05-2011, 11:16 AM
nice , we need you up this way to get permission from some of these blue bloods Tana lol lol great looking old house , i hope you get to dig the privy as i bet theres lots of desirable bottle in it . congrats on the coins and token and great pictures too. |:cheering: |:cheering:

Tony Two-Cent
10-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Great story, great photos, and great finds, Tana! Very nice of you to give away those two coins, I'm sure it will help to put you in their good graces and encourage future hunts. thumbsup01

I wish I had your confidence about knocking on doors and asking to hunt private property. Sometimes my shyness and fear of confrontation is a real detriment.

What kind of toys did you find?

Cheap Thrills
10-05-2011, 01:02 PM
Great finds, pictures and story :perfect10: :cool: . So the house is for sale ..... hmmm , I could see where that may be a good time to ask for permission . Gotta hand to ya' tana you do pretty well at getting permission to hunt places and get some great finds out of the deal . thumbsup01 I found a similar button ( a few differences) quite a few years back but made by a different manufacturer . It's not as good a shape as yours . Perhaps mine had dog saliva on it and it helped with the corrosion :thinkingabout:

:groovy:

aloldstuff
10-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Excellent post. I take it that you never made it over to the lake and ducks. Great coins you dug there, can you go back? Very nice of you to give the owner and daughter each a wheat, what were the odds of finding their birth years. Congrats

SeabeeRon
10-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Thanks for some great pictures and great post!! |:cheering:

tanacat
10-05-2011, 03:10 PM
As we all know I like tokens :drool:....and that one you found is soooo cool! :drool: And BIG! :twirlingeyes: Wow! :shocked04: <:

lol I love how you say tawna- to those wondering, that's how my name is pronounced. Tim called me Tanna when we hunted together once & I put him in his place :boxing: lol

Hey, Logan and I just put all my tokens in a display case. I'll share a pic w/you Tim. I love tokens too :smitten:

Excellent post. Great coins you dug there, can you go back?

Thanks! Yes, he said I can come back. He mentioned that his son has detected the yard - maybe that's where all the big silver went :huh:

Ill Digger
10-05-2011, 03:55 PM
lol I love how you say tawna- to those wondering, that's how my name is pronounced. Tim called me Tanna when we hunted together once & I put him in his place :boxing: lol
:yes: Yeah she did! :behave: :blackeye:
Aaaah memories! :daydream: lol

OxShoeDrew
10-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Is that a for-sale sign as Sheik suggested? I'd guess that would make it even more difficult to gain access to a property. Seems like a perfect hunt.....all aspects of the hobby came together for you. I wish you many more.
Drew

tanacat
10-05-2011, 06:15 PM
So the house is for sale ..... hmmm , I could see where that may be a good time to ask for permission .

Thanks Baba :) No, it's not for sale- the sign in the front yard says &quot:beerbuddy:uilt in 1853 and the owner's names. I didn't want any lurkers stealing my spot :beatdown: lol Yeah, a lot of houses for sale are vacant. My favorite- you don't feel like people are watching.

Is that a for-sale sign as Sheik suggested? I'd guess that would make it even more difficult to gain access to a property.

Actually I go driving around looking for houses for sale or rent to take advantage of the phone number! Sometimes I'd rather get rejected over the phone than in person :cheesysmile: Believe it or not I get more :yes: than \:[ when I call these numbers. Maybe it's my charm and that I'm a woman :rolleyes: But I am assertive and tell them right away that I'm experienced detectorist, have a top of the line detector that tells you what it is and how deep and that I'm just after old coins. I add that they won't even know I've been there. I don't mention the word 'dig' or 'hole'. lol When I get a NO I say okay thanks anyway, it can't hurt to ask.

skribnodsister
10-06-2011, 06:49 AM
Nice finds tana, I just love finding those old tokens and buttons and what a wonderful story that you gave them the two wheaties of their birth year.

Tony Two-Cent
10-06-2011, 09:29 AM
I love how you say tawna- to those wondering, that's how my name is pronounced. Tim called me Tanna when we hunted together once & I put him in his place

I'm glad I read this because I would have made the same mistake! Duly noted, now if I can re-train my brain. lol

Ill Digger
10-06-2011, 11:17 AM
I'm glad I read this because I would have made the same mistake! Duly noted, now if I can re-train my brain. lol
rofl Yeah she had to re-train mine too. :bop: :bop:
You see, right after she corrected me the first time. I turned right around and said it incorrectly again 8/ :embarrassed: lol

tanacat
10-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Nice finds tana, I just love finding those old tokens and buttons and what a wonderful story that you gave them the two wheaties of their birth year.

Thanks Donna! Yeah I love old buttons too :yes: They liked the wheats- they seemed surprised that I let them go. But after you find hundreds of them, they aren't as hard to give away. I like to give to the owners the year their house was built too- that's happened a few times. Two years ago when I first started MDing I wouldn't have been able to part with a wheat lol

lol It rhymes with Donna also...

rofl Yeah she had to re-train mine too. :bop: :bop:
You see, right after she corrected me the first time. I turned right around and said it incorrectly again 8/ :embarrassed: lol

Oh yeah I remember that now. I'm used to it though... so don't feel bad :groovy: :) When I was a kid I was mad mom didn't name me Heather, the second name she had planned.

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-08-2011, 09:09 PM
very cool token & a sweet button! it pays off to door knock for the most part!

Civil War Nut
10-08-2011, 11:46 PM
I kind-a like Cat . So you are doing Good , Good , Good , girl . Keep it up . I dont like phones eather , best to look them in the eye and ask . And check out my Wed. post , need help .