PDA

View Full Version : Saddest Barber Dime Ever

Tony Two-Cent
10-05-2011, 06:51 PM
I tried hunting at a different place tonight after work. It is a very small park around the water tower in a tiny little town that doesn't even have a post office or a gas station. I only hunted for 30 minutes today before I got a phone call and had to leave.

I had hunted this park briefly once before in the spring when I first got my E-Trac and only found modern coins, not even a single wheat. This time I found a wheat cent and a Barber dime plus some newer coins in the 30 minutes. The poor Barber dime isn't anything to write home about though. It's a 1907-O and has seen better days. :crying02:

I will definitely be going back to this park though when I have more time to hunt, now that I know there are some old coins there.

In the back of my mind I am wondering if the dime could be flattened somehow? Oh well, I guess I'll reluctantly count it as my 42nd silver of the year.

Epi-hunter
10-05-2011, 06:54 PM
lol Tony, I was reading your post and shaking my head, about to tell you that 'sad' and 'barber' don't belong in the same sentence, then I scrolled down and saw the photo lol Okay, yeah, that's a little sad :)

Still, a barber is a barber and I love finding them. :happydance01: Congrats!!!

jkress
10-05-2011, 06:56 PM
You're crazy, that still grades at least AU. lol
She's a little rough, but a great find nonetheless. :clapping: It has character. :rolleyes:
Pretty good for a 30 minute hunt.

Spike
10-05-2011, 07:29 PM
:( :-\ I have a 1850 O that looks almost that bad and a flawless 1833 dime except for the dent and scratch I feel your pain lol

pulltabsteve
10-05-2011, 07:32 PM
I like it happydance02 :clapping:

hockeyguy
10-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Count it Tony....still a nice find anyday! Good Luck with the new site!

Ill Digger
10-05-2011, 08:11 PM
lol Tony, I was reading your post and shaking my head, about to tell you that 'sad' and 'barber' don't belong in the same sentence, then I scrolled down and saw the photo lol Okay, yeah, that's a little sad :)
lol Me too Angie! :yes: I was thinking It'll have to be pretty worn out. But how bad can it be :dontknow:
Then I seen the wow-wee in it :eyebrow: \:[ Man what a shame crying01 BUT! It's still a good find!
A Barber's a Barber! thumbsup01 <: I wonder how the heck that happen to that thing :confused:
It looks like the wheatie had a rough life too :confused: That place sure is tough on the old coins 8/
The zincers don't stand a chance at this place! :hammer: lol
The silver is pretty soft. You should be able to pound it flat with just a hammer. :yes:
Congrats on the goodies! :grin:

wingmaster
10-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Still its silver, you can't control what shape they are in when you find them. Congrats

Tony Two-Cent
10-05-2011, 08:38 PM
The silver is pretty soft. You should be able to pound it flat with just a hammer.

And after reading several tips on the internet, that's exactly what I did! I placed the coin between layers of heavy duty aluminum foil and card stock paper, put it on the smooth concrete of my garage floor, and WHACK! Lo and behold Joe was right, it is in AU! rofl

I must admit that it looks a lot better than it did before! At least it will fit in a 2x2 now! :yes:

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Dime-Obverse-Flat.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Dime-Reverse-Flat.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Dime-Side-Flat.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Dime-Back-Flat.jpg

jkress
10-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Much, much better. I found a rosie that was bent at almost a 90 degree angle from being hit with a mower. Had it flattened by a buddy metal worker and it is now resting comfortably in a 2x2 in my book. :yes:

I was thinking about doing the same with the Seated dime with the bullet hole I found a month ago... but my buddy Ron talked me out of it.
He said the bullet hole gave it character. I agreed on that one.

Great job on the flattening. thumbsup01

Tony Two-Cent
10-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Thanks, Joe!

And here it is once more after I cleaned some of the gunk off of it. Normally I would never clean a coin this aggressively, but I figured I couldn't hurt this one any. I'm done with it now. :)

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Dime-Obverse-Cleaned.jpg

Viking
10-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Tony Two-Cent, Coin Restoration Extraordinaire

Ill Digger
10-05-2011, 11:51 PM
And after reading several tips on the internet, that's exactly what I did! I placed the coin between layers of heavy duty aluminum foil and card stock paper, put it on the smooth concrete of my garage floor, and WHACK! Lo and behold Joe was right, it is in AU! rofl

I must admit that it looks a lot better than it did before! At least it will fit in a 2x2 now! :yes:
lol Yep! Right on! thumbsup01
Thats better lol Yeah now it'll fit in a 2x2 and be put with the rest of your coins.
And :dontknow: it really was in good condition, as far as circulation wear gos, before it was crinkled. :yes:
Congrats again Tony! :grin:

aloldstuff
10-06-2011, 07:05 AM
Tony, as I was reading your post and saw the mangled Barber :crying02: I was about to tell you to go back and rebury that coin. Then I saw your after hammer wack and it is now a keeper. Hope you can find its sister and at least its not a lonely merc.
Congrats

JTGOLD
10-06-2011, 10:46 AM
nice looking barber sence you flattend it,good job Tony,and good hunt.

Snapolson
10-06-2011, 12:44 PM
NICE! I'd stick a soft towel over it and tap it with a hammer until it gets flattened out. Otherwise it's in super fine shape (detail wise)! :clapping:

MinelabIowa
10-23-2011, 06:59 PM
Any silver is a good one! Still a nice find in my book.

Fire Fighter 43
10-24-2011, 08:34 AM
Silver is silver, one of my seated dimes was like that. I just took a hammer to it so it would fit in a holder. Congrats on a great hunt.

CODY
10-24-2011, 11:28 AM
Good looking find.

bob_e99
10-24-2011, 04:28 PM

Still, a barber is a barber and I love finding them. :happydance01: Congrats!!!

I agree and couldn't imagine sad and barber in the same sentence but to me that is a tad more than sad. Seeing that picture practically brought tears to my eyes. crying01

anotherpulltap
10-24-2011, 07:10 PM
Don't worry mate, with a little Bondo, it'll buff out! <}

Mudder
10-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Tony,
She is a Barber, She is Silver, and yes it does count no matter how badly she was used. Looks like you did a pretty good job of getting the worst of it fixed. Congrats! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: