PDA

View Full Version : 30 Minute Sidewalk Tearout Hunt - 1936 Merc

milco
10-06-2011, 12:00 PM
I hit a small 40ft strip of new sidewalk tearout yesterday and managed to pull out four zincolns along the edge and a real crusty Mercury dime under where the slab was. Did not take a before picture, but it was bad. Ended up doing some electrolysis on it and it turned out OK for as bad as it was.

aloldstuff
10-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Congrats on the merc and it did not turn out to bad. I, for one can never pass on a sidewalk tearout.

Tony Two-Cent
10-07-2011, 06:13 AM
Congrats on saving the Merc from being lost forever. Hey, it's a 75-year-old silver coin, definitely a keeper!

I'm glad the electrolysis made it presentable. Nice save! :clapping:

Sal66
10-07-2011, 07:49 AM
Hey not bad, not bad at all. Was this a town project and if so how did you get permission or did you?
I knew an area not far from my house where they were tearing up at least a mile long section to make the road wider. No side walks but when the ground was dirt a long time ago, I'm sure alot of snow and dirt probably was tossed along the edge obviously. Seems like if you ask the Foreman he would say I don't care but I don't own the land and the who wants to call the snobby town officials. I would think as long as your Detecting sections that are just torn up as opposed to being smoothed out with gravel on top, the worst the town could do is say you have to leave.
On the other hand , If you get permission from the Foreman and he says as long as the days work is done, then at least you got permission from someone.
I'll have to check and see if they are working the site. Wish me luck.

tanacat
10-07-2011, 07:52 AM
:beerbuddy: Congrats on the merc- way to jump in there on the opportunity thumbsup01

randy
10-07-2011, 04:58 PM
One wonders what it looked like before. Anyway, WTG on jumping on that tearout.

JTGOLD
10-07-2011, 05:26 PM
good save on the merc,wtg.

Ill Digger
10-07-2011, 05:28 PM
You and your tearouts man! I don't even see this many tearouts :dontknow:
You do pretty darn good on them too.! :yes: thumbsup01
They are doing complete road tearouts near us. I've tryed to go Milco on'em and had a few cool finds :yes:
No silver. :rolleyes: But a few wheats, a marble, and 2 tokens from the milkman! lol Good for 1 quart of fresh milk lol thumbsup01 :cool:
Nice find D!
Congrats :grin:

jkress
10-07-2011, 08:13 PM
30 minute:huh: :confused: What happened to your hour lunch hunts? lol :poke:
Once again, great job taking advantage of an opportunity Darren. :clapping:
You are doing quite well again this year. Congrats.